Half the posts over here are trying 2 prove that 1=2 or 0=-1 or

• Thread starter toocool_sashi
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses various mathematical equations and attempts to prove that 1=2 or 0=-1. The speaker shares their own experience with trying to do the same in eighth grade and presents a flawed equation to demonstrate the mistake. The conversation concludes with the realization that dividing by zero is undefined in math.
toocool_sashi
half the posts over here are trying 2 prove that 1=2 or 0=-1 or sumthing like that lol so i thought ill try sumthing of that sort too...its silly...but it fascinated me when i was in class 8.

Let a = b where a, b are any 2 real numbers
a^2 = ab
a^2-b^2=ab-b^2
(a-b)(a+b)=b(a-b)
a+b=b
But a = b therefore b = 2b for any real number b

enjoy! don't curse me for wasting ur time when u find the mistae!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
...or a=0...

a+b=b;
a=b;
so b+b=b
so b=a=0?

Answer in white:

"(a-b)(a+b)=b(a-b)"
a-b=0, so it is meaningless to divide both sides by (a-b)

Let a = b where a, b are any 2 real numbers

a2 = ab
Subtract both sides with b2 ==> a2-b2 = ab-b2
Simplify ==> (a-b)(a+b)=b(a-b)
divide with (a-b) ==> a+b = b
a=b gives ==> 2b = b

And the error is as said very simple.

toocool_sashi said:
(1) (a-b)(a+b)=b(a-b)
(2) a+b=b

to get eq. (2) from eq. (1)

you have to divide both sides by (a-b)
since a=b
therefore, (a-b)=0...

in addition, you have divided two sides by zero...

a number divided by zero is undefined in math...

got ya!

1. How can 1 equal 2 or 0 equal -1?

This is a common misconception that arises from mathematical manipulations that may seem to produce such results. However, these manipulations often involve division by zero or other invalid operations, leading to false conclusions. In reality, 1 will always be equal to 1 and 0 will always be equal to 0.

2. Why do people try to prove these equations?

Some individuals may attempt to prove these equations as a way to challenge traditional mathematical principles and provoke critical thinking. However, these attempts are ultimately flawed and do not hold up under rigorous scrutiny.

3. Are there any real-life applications for these equations?

No, these equations have no practical applications in the real world. They are simply mathematical curiosities and should not be taken seriously in any practical context.

4. Can these equations be used to solve complex mathematical problems?

No, these equations do not provide any useful solutions to real mathematical problems. In fact, trying to use them in problem-solving can lead to erroneous results and further confusion.

5. How can I differentiate between legitimate mathematical concepts and false equations like these?

The best way to distinguish between legitimate mathematical principles and false equations is to understand the fundamental rules and operations of mathematics. Additionally, consulting with a trained mathematician or scientist can provide valuable insight and clarify any confusion.