1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Halflife question

1. Feb 16, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

An archaeologist finds an oak wine cask in one of her digs. Testing the activity from the radioactive carbon-14 in the cask reveals that it is only one-quarter that of the activity coming from the modern sample of the same type of oak. How old is the sample?

2. Relevant equations
    A=Anaught(.5)^(t/t1/2)

3. The attempt at a solution
    I tried finding the halflife of carbon-14 (which is 5.73EXP3a) from a chart given in my textbook.
    after that, i tried filling int he blanks for my equation above, but i just didnt know how to formulate it.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 16, 2010 #2

collinsmark

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You could use your equation to solve this one. The amount of carbon 14 based radioactivity is proportional to the amount of Carbon 14 present.

[tex] A = A _0 (0.5)^{\frac{t}{t_{1/2}}} [/tex]

Here, [tex] A_0 [/tex] can be considered the activity of the modern sample. Since it is being used as the reference of comparison, you can set it equal to 1. Then [tex] A [/tex] becomes the activity of a sample relative to a modern sample (0.25 in this case). [tex] t _{1/2} [/tex] is the halflife. Then just solve for [tex] t [/tex].

There's also an easier way to do this particular problem. If the activity is 1/2 of that compared to a modern sample, then the age is one halflife. If the activity is 1/2 of 1/2, then the age is two halflives, and so on.

4. Feb 16, 2010 #3
    Thank you so much, you helped me a lot.
    Just a question, is there another way to formulate this question using log?

5. Feb 16, 2010 #4

collinsmark

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

There certainly is! Just take the logarithm of both sides of the equation, and note that

[tex] Log(x^a) = aLog(x) [/tex]

or more specifically in this case,

[tex] Log \left( \left(0.5 \right) ^\frac{t}{t_{1/2}} \right) = \frac{t}{t_{1/2}}Log(0.5) [/tex]

You'd have to do that anyway when solving for t. So in other words, take the logarithm of both sides (noting the above identity), and solve for t.

Btw, I used the common logarithm, but you can use the natural logarithm if you'd like or logarithms of any base for that matter. Whatever you prefer.

6. Feb 16, 2010 #5
    again, thanks so much!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook