1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Halfway through junior year in my undergraduate physics program - looking for advice

Tags:
  1. Nov 27, 2012 #1
    Hey all! I'm a little lost as to what I should get done in my last three semesters of college. I do plan on going to grad school and will take the GRE next spring, but I currently have no idea as to what else I should be getting done to prepare. I have passing interest in materials science and condensed matter physics, but I haven't taken any formal courses in the subject area yet so I'm not sure if I would want to pursue that path.

GPA: 3.54
    Research Experience: None, any REU recommendations related to materials science would be much appreciated

Relevant Courses lined up so far for next semester:
    Thermodynamics & Statistical Mechanics
    Intro to Polymer Physics
    <Math Elective>
    Lab Safety Certification
    Experimental Physics II

Science and math courses I will have completed by the end of this semester:

Physics I -> III + Relevant labs
    Relativity
    Quantum Physics (Griffiths)
    Electromagnetism (Griffiths)
    Classical Mechanics
    Experimental Physics I

Calculus I - III
    Ordinary Differential Equations
    Linear Algebra
    Probability I

Python
    Matlab
    General Chemistry I & II

Misc: Member of my school's local physics club, joined APS

Any suggestions are appreciated, thanks in advance!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 28, 2012 #2
    Re: Halfway through junior year in my undergraduate physics program - looking for adv

On the NSF website there is a list of REU programs for every subject so you could check that. They have plenty of materials science and physics with condensed matter. But it seems to me that the list might be out of date, so you can always just search the web to find more.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook