Hall Effect charge carrier trouble

In summary: This information can be helpful in understanding your results and further analysis of your experiment.
ronaldoshaky
Hello.

I recently did a Hall effect experiment with InSb. I did it in two parts. The first with the sample at room temperature and the second immersed in liquid nitrogen. I need some help understanding my results. I used the fomula v_h = (v_1 - v_2) / 2 to work out the Hall voltage (v_h). v_1 and v_2 are measured voltages for different orientations of the sample.

For Part 1 (at room temperature)

I measure voltages v_1 and v_2 for different values of current. I get + voltage for v_1 and - voltage for v_2. this leads to a positive value for v_h when I use the above formula for the Hall voltage. When I plot the Hall voltage against I, I get a positive slope. Can I conclude that the charge carriers are holes?

Part 2 (in Liquid Nitrogen)

Now I get positive values for v_1 and v_2. v_2 is greater than v_1 and this leads to negative values for v_h. when I plot v_h against I, i get a negative slope. Does this mean the charge carriers are now electrons?.

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, based on the results of your experiment, it appears that the charge carriers in the InSb sample are holes at room temperature and electrons in liquid nitrogen. The positive slope in your first plot indicates that the Hall voltage (v_h) is directly proportional to the current (I). This can be used to infer that the charge carriers are holes. Similarly, in the second plot, the negative slope suggests that the charge carriers are electrons.

What is Hall Effect charge carrier trouble?

Hall Effect charge carrier trouble refers to an issue in which the charge carriers (electrons or holes) in a material behave differently than expected due to the presence of a magnetic field. This can lead to unexpected outcomes or errors in experiments or devices using the material.

How does the Hall Effect work?

The Hall Effect is a phenomenon in which a magnetic field perpendicular to the direction of current flow in a material causes the charge carriers to deflect, resulting in a measurable voltage across the material. This effect is used to determine the type and concentration of charge carriers in a material.

What causes Hall Effect charge carrier trouble?

Hall Effect charge carrier trouble can be caused by a variety of factors, including impurities or defects in the material, temperature changes, and improper calibration of equipment. It can also occur in materials with complex band structures or in highly conductive materials.

How can Hall Effect charge carrier trouble be avoided?

To avoid Hall Effect charge carrier trouble, it is important to carefully select and prepare the material being used, calibrate equipment properly, and carefully consider the effects of temperature and other external factors. In some cases, it may be necessary to use materials with simpler band structures or lower conductivities to minimize this issue.

What are some applications of the Hall Effect?

The Hall Effect has many practical applications, such as in Hall sensors used in electronic devices, measuring the electrical conductivity of materials, and determining the type and concentration of charge carriers in semiconductors. It is also used in the study of magnetic materials and in the development of new technologies, such as spintronics.