Hall Effect: Calculating Drift Velocity, Depth & Magnetic Field

• Thread starter farshad147
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hall effect
In summary, the conversation discusses a computer project involving the Hall effect, specifically calculating the change in voltage per time and the final voltage using the depth of the plate, drift velocity, and magnetic field strength. The Hall voltage equation is derived using the concepts of magnetic and electric forces, and it is constant unless there are changes in the underlying variables. The final voltage can be calculated using the equation provided in the conversation.
farshad147
hi everyone,
first of all, sorry for my bad english!

I've got a computer project from my physics teacher which is about hall effect,

the problem says that we have: Drift velocity "Vd" , Depth of the plate "d" and magnetic field "B",
now we want to calculate 2 things:

first: changing of voltage per time
second: final voltage

Physics news on Phys.org
I am not an expert when it comes to Hall voltage but I am familiar with the general concept. To derive the Hall voltage equation, begin with the magnetic force:

Fm = q v B where q is the charge, v is the velocity, and B is the magnetic field strength

Fm = e vd B with q = e and v = vd

The magnetic force acting on the flowing electrons is equal to the electric force created by the Hall effect. Electric force is given by:

Fe = e E where E is the electric field strength
Fe = e V/d where V is the hall voltage and d is the depth

Setting Fm = Fe gives:
e vd B = e V/d

Therefore the hall voltage is:
V = d vd B

Using the above equation, the Hall voltage can be calculated from depth d, drift velocity vd, and magnetic field strength B.

You asked to calculate the "change in voltage per time" and I'm not quite sure how to answer that question. To the best of my knowledge, hall voltage is constant so the change per time should be zero. (Assuming a constant depth, drift velocity, and magnetic field strength.) The "final voltage", or in my opinion "constant voltage", is given by the last equation. Just substitute in the values.

Let me know if you need more clarification.

What is the Hall Effect?

The Hall Effect is a phenomenon in which an electric current flowing through a conductor is deflected by a perpendicular magnetic field, resulting in a measurable voltage perpendicular to both the current and the magnetic field.

How is drift velocity calculated in the Hall Effect?

The drift velocity in the Hall Effect can be calculated by dividing the induced voltage (VH) by the magnetic field strength (B) and the charge carrier density (n). This formula is represented as vd = VH / (B * n).

What is the relationship between the depth of a material and the Hall Effect?

The Hall Effect is affected by the depth of a material, as the electric field created by the magnetic field is stronger near the surface of the material. This leads to a higher voltage and therefore a more accurate calculation of drift velocity.

Can the Hall Effect be used to measure the strength of a magnetic field?

Yes, the Hall Effect can be used to measure the strength of a magnetic field. By measuring the induced voltage (VH) and knowing the charge carrier density (n) and the current (I), the magnetic field strength (B) can be calculated using the formula B = VH / (n * I).

What are some real-world applications of the Hall Effect?

The Hall Effect has many practical applications, such as in sensors for measuring magnetic fields, current, and position. It is also used in electronic devices like smartphones and computers, as well as in medical equipment such as MRI machines.