1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hall effect thrusters

1. Jul 22, 2006 #1
    hi i am in a bit of a pickle and could do with some advice.

i have a built, working, hall effect thruster (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hall_effect_thruster) but can't figure out how to measure the thrust it produces. any ideas?

thanks

stuart

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 22, 2006 #2
    Why not just put it upside down on a sensitive balance scale(mechanical or electronic) and measure from there.
    Remember, the thrust IS small, so the scale will have to very sensitive.

4. Jul 23, 2006 #3

LURCH

Science Advisor

I'm guessung that would eb a problem. For that kind of sensitivity, you'd need a digital scale, wouldn't you? I don't know if it's wise to put a digital instrument that close to such a strong magnet. Won't it wreck the thing? Or at the least, throw off its accuracy?

5. Jul 24, 2006 #4
    You do bring up a good point. A digital scale could be adversely affected.
    However, a sensitive non-magnetic mechanical scale should suffice, as the thrust is on the order of comparison to the weight of a US quarter; easily handled by mechanical balance scales.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook