1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hall Voltage Effect

1. Aug 24, 2006 #1
    Hey I am having trouble with the following question.

Because blood contains charged ions moving blood develops a Hall voltage across the diameter of an artery. The blood in a large artery with a diameter of 0.85 cm has a flow speed of 0.6 m/s. If a section of this artery is in a magnetic field of 0.4T, what is the potential diference across the diameter of the artery?

I have an idea of what is going on in the question, but it seems i havn't been given enough information to solve it. I know that hall voltage is given by:

V = (IB)/ned and i know that F = qvB if i assumed the field was perpendicular to the artery I could use that for something - maybe. But really im stumped, any help, or even a formula i have over looked would be great thanks.

~Daniel

Last edited: Aug 24, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 24, 2006 #2

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You have to know how many charge carriers flow past a given point per unit time. You don't have enough information to find that.

AM

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?