What is the Equation for Calculating Halley's Comet Eccentricity?

In summary, the eccentricity of Halley's comet is approximately 0.96714 and it has an orbital period of 75-76 years. The last sighting of Halley's comet was in 1986 and it is expected to return in 2061. Its long orbital period is caused by its highly eccentric orbit, which is affected by the gravitational pull of outer planets. While there are other comets with highly eccentric orbits, Halley's comet is one of the most well-known due to its regular return and historical sightings.
orbitsnerd

Homework Statement

I am given Rp=.6AU and need to find the eccentricity.

Homework Equations

Rp=a(1-e)

The Attempt at a Solution

I can find what Halley's comet eccentricity is (0.967) but I need to actually calculate it. What is the equation I need? I know I need to know Ra, or a, or p.

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you told the period of Haley's orbit?

gabbagabbahey said:
Are you told the period of Haley's orbit?

yes, I guess I was and overlooked it. It was stated in 1910-1986, so 76 years. I can now find a and solve the problem. Thanks!

What is the eccentricity of Halley's comet?

The eccentricity of Halley's comet is approximately 0.96714. This means that its orbit around the sun is highly elliptical, with a distance between its closest point (perihelion) and farthest point (aphelion) varying significantly.

How often does Halley's comet pass by Earth?

Halley's comet has an orbital period of approximately 75-76 years. This means that it passes by Earth once every 75-76 years.

When was the last sighting of Halley's comet?

The last sighting of Halley's comet was in 1986. It is expected to return in 2061.

What causes Halley's comet to have such a long orbital period?

The long orbital period of Halley's comet is due to its highly eccentric orbit. As it travels away from the sun, it experiences a gravitational pull from the outer planets, which slows down its speed. This causes it to take longer to complete one orbit around the sun.

Is Halley's comet the only comet with a highly eccentric orbit?

No, there are many other comets with highly eccentric orbits. However, Halley's comet is one of the most well-known due to its regular return to the inner solar system and its appearance in recorded history dating back to ancient times.