1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Halley's Comet Orbit

1. Oct 28, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Consider Comet Halley. At a particular instant in time, its position and velocity
    are given below, in units of AU and AU/yr relative to the centre of the Sun.

(x,y,z) = 0.331060, -0.455488, 0.166180)
    (vx,vy,vz) = (-9.01154, -7.02645, -1.30645)

There are a number of questions attatched to this problem, all of which are dependent on the answer of part a, which is all I need.

a) What are the semi-major axis and eccentricity of this comet?

2. Relevant equations

[tex]\alpha[/tex]/r = 1 + [tex]\epsilon[/tex]cos[tex]\theta[/tex]

where [tex]\alpha[/tex] = l2/[tex]\mu[/tex]k and [tex]\epsilon[/tex] = sqrt(1 +2El^2/mu k^2)

3. The attempt at a solution

We've done a similar problem in two dimensions, given two components of speed, finding E, l and alpha, but in this case I'm not sure where to start.
    Also, mass is not given so condensed mass mu cannot be found. Maybe an assumption since m << Mass of the Sun?

Should I find the radius by sqrt(x2+y2+z2)?
    If I do, I'm left with 3 components of speed that I don't know how to start working with.

I'm stuck and think I just need a push, any help would be great thanks.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2009
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted