1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Halley's comet

1. Sep 25, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    When I plug in all of the parameters for Halley's comet (from Wikipedia) into Kepler's third law a get a semimajor axis of 38.56 AU when it should be about 17? Can someone else try it and see if I am crazy?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Last edited: Sep 25, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 25, 2007 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What parameters are you trying to plug into what equation?

4. Sep 25, 2007 #3
    mass of halley's comet = negligable
    mass of the sun
    G
    T = 76 years

5. Sep 25, 2007 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I get that 76^2 is pretty close to 17.8^3. Perhaps you are crazy. :) Remember that the earth semimajor axis is 1 AU and it's period is 1 year.

6. Sep 25, 2007 #5
    OK here are the details:

38.5654 = (T^2/(4 pi^2) * G * (Ms))^(1/3)/(1.4*10^11)

where T is the period in seconds, Ms = 1.991*10^31 and G = 6.674 * 10^(-11)
    what am I doing wrong?

7. Sep 25, 2007 #6

dynamicsolo

Homework Helper

The mass of the Sun is 1.99*10^30 kg... (Your result for a is off by very nearly the cube root of 10.)

Last edited: Sep 25, 2007
  8. Sep 25, 2007 #7

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You beat me! I just figured that out. But, ehrenfest, for solar orbits if you work in AU and years, the constant proportionality k in R^3=k*T^2, is one.

9. Sep 25, 2007 #8

dynamicsolo

Homework Helper

My training's largely in astrophysics, so I have the solar mass by heart. I would usually take the proportionality approach myself as well, though...

10. Sep 25, 2007 #9

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Funny, my training is in cosmology, so I know it's like to ten the fifty some proton masses. And fifty plus what I forget. Good job.

11. Sep 25, 2007 #10
    Ahh! 30 minutes of frustration because my short-term memory is not good enough to look at a computer screen and then write down a two-digit number without botching a digit!

Thanks guys.

12. Sep 25, 2007 #11

dynamicsolo

Homework Helper

Close enough... ;-) When I was an undergraduate, cosmology was called "the science where you're happy when your order of magnitude is right to an order of magnitude". Nowadays we speak of "precision" cosmology -- what an age we live in...

13. Sep 25, 2007 #12

dynamicsolo

Homework Helper

Everybody makes copying errors (when they're not making *sign* errors), so I know just how you feel...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?