Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Halliburton pulled from Iraqi oil contract

1. Dec 31, 2003 #1

Question - does this mean that the Iraq war wasn't really there just so Cheney could feed a lot of money to Halliburton??
    I mean, between Halliburton being out of the bidding for the largest contract in Iraq, and now this, what evidence is there left that this alleged conflict of interest exists?
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 31, 2003 #2
    Your question doesn't make sense...Halliburton was busted for war profiteering, which in your eyes disproves that there was a conflict of interest? You may seriously want to run that past someone you trust, and see what they think about your logic.
  4. Dec 31, 2003 #3
    Re: Re: Halliburton pulled from Iraqi oil contract

Nothing like jumping to a conclusion, asking a question, and answering it yourself, is there? :)

War Profiteering? You mean the alleged 61 million that hasn't been proven? They haven't been busted at all, simply removed while investigated. I haven't seen anything paid back, or proof that they were - simply an investigation.

I'll be happy to get on Halliburton's ass if they were overcharging, but $3.00/gal when there was only one authorized source, to deliver gasoline in the middle of warzone isn't ringing my bell yet.

The logic goes as follows:

Supposedly the Iraq war was all about money, and Cheney's oil cronies just couldn't wait to sink their teeth.
    Initially Halliburton lost the largest contract offered in Iraq (actually dropped out, didn't get outbid!), now they are taken off this lucrative contract, and being investigated. Show me how Cheney is covering Halliburton's ass, and how Halliburton is doign so well from Iraq? They are being taken off contracts, and under a publicized DOD investigation. I don't see favoritism here
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2003
  5. Dec 31, 2003 #4
    Seems to me like you want your idea to be true, but the evidence is either neutral, or supports the OPPOSITE of your position. In no way would it support your position, as far as I can see.
  6. Dec 31, 2003 #5
    You could try expanding on this.

The only evidence that Halliburton might get favoritism is because CHeney is the ex CEO, and both Cheney and Bush have been in the oil industry.

I would say the actions I have previously stated are sufficent to say that there's some signs of NO favoritism, but you don't even specifically respond to them. You are simply saying "no."
  7. Dec 31, 2003 #6
    Well, I dealt with it before...the deal was set up, Halliburton cheated like crazy, they are still handling other contracts BTW...and their behavior and the lack of oversight until after the fact, is either evidence of government incompetence, or government collusion. There is nothing that says busting Halliburton after the info got leaked to the public can count as a positive sign for anyone involved.
  8. Jan 4, 2004 #7

Well said Zero...

Isn't it funny that if nothing had come to light about Halliburtons'
    profiteering- it would still be going on! [b(] Cheney is pretty quiet lately, likely because media investigators found out he was still on the Halliburton payroll(so to speak). If there are American companies as good as Halliburton in the areas of service the Pentagon hired them for... why or how is it that coincidental to its award of a lucrative no-bid contract in a postion to influence the awarding Cheney(defered CEO and (one of its)chief stock holder)was pumping the war with Iraq with false oand/or misleading disinformation to the public at large.
  9. Jan 4, 2004 #8
    Re: Well said Zero...

There are a lot of assumptions in your post, with this being the largest of them. Halliburton IS good at what they do. I have worked in the gas/oil industry, in Houston no less (middle of it all), and Halliburton has a rep for quality, despite the constant negativity about them from the left :)
  10. Jan 5, 2004 #9

That is not what I pointed out... although more opinionated than assumed

I know Halliburton is good at what they do, what my questioned asked was are there others at least equally competent? Is Halliburton the only such company?
    This has been in newspapaers around the country and is old news more than once. Wasn't Cheney suppossed to cut all relevant connections to Halliburton when he became VP? Didn't he say he did? Didn't the media discover later he mislead them and in fact hadn't truly cut ties of conflicted interest? Question, is he still Halliburtons man on the inside?
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2004
  11. Jan 5, 2004 #10

Staff: Mentor

Anyone know what exactly is his current connection to Haliburton?
  12. Jan 5, 2004 #11
    The problem is impropriety and the resulting profiteering.

1) Halliburton did not even need to bid for the contract.

2) Cheney was CEO. Whether he has shares still, I do not know. However, I would bet that his close associates are in there. Hie pockets won't be going empty.

3) Halliburton has been busted for its crappy practices.
  13. Jan 5, 2004 #12
    So anyone want to show me where the current investigation came to an end, and halliburton was found guilty???
  14. Jan 6, 2004 #13
    Well, duh. Investigations are under way.
  15. Jan 6, 2004 #14
    That is pretty much besides the point, isn't it?
  16. Jan 6, 2004 #15
    Considering that just about every response to this thread is based on assumptive guilt of halliburton, I'm going to say no.
  17. Jan 6, 2004 #16
    You would...the point is that it was very obvious to anyone who was looking that the Halliburton deal was shady from the start, since Cheney's connection to them has always been a bit under the table(He still works for them, and profits from their success).
  18. Jan 6, 2004 #17
    1>I see our lovely mentor is not above making snied remarks...

2>shady? a but under the table? Is this the sort of 'proof' that halliburton is up against in their investigation right now? If so, I guess there is nothing to worry about.

I own Halliburton stock - I profit from their success too!!!!!
  19. Jan 6, 2004 #18
    Like the bit about Halliburton being given the contract without bidding? Or the bit about them using vastly inflated prices? or the bit about Cheney's involvement in the company?
  20. Jan 6, 2004 #19
    So does Cheney...which gives the distinct impression of impropriety and corruption. And of course, you know the saying "where there's smoke, there's fire".
  21. Jan 6, 2004 #20
    Actually, the truth may be worse than simple stealing money from our pockets...the government may have suggested that Halliburton buy the more expensive oil, screwing taxpayers out of the cash for cheap political posturing. Go figure, huh?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?