What are some good ghost stories and movies for Halloween?

• Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
In summary, Jeff Shannon argues that the original "The Haunting" from 1963 is a truly psychologically scary masterpiece, while the 1999 remake is a piece of crap. He also recommends the horror movie "Silence of the Lambs" from 1991.
Evo
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
I love Halloween. It's the first fun holiday of the season. I have always loved ghost stories. The absolute best ghost movie ever made was the original "The Haunting" 1963 with Claire Bloom and Julie Harris. This was a truly psychologically scary masterpiece. It has NOTHING to do with that piece of crap remake 1999 remake.

The genius of The Haunting lies in the restraint of Wise and screenwriter Nelson Gidding, who elicit almost all of the film's mounting terror from the psychology of its characters--particularly Eleanor, whose grip on sanity grows increasingly tenuous. The presence of lurking spirits relies heavily on the power of suggestion (likewise the cautious handling of Theodora's attraction to Eleanor) and the film's use of sound is more terrifying than anything Wise could have shown with his camera. Like Jack Clayton's 1961 chiller, The Innocents, The Haunting knows the value of planting the seeds of terror in the mind, as opposed to letting them blossom graphically on the screen. What you don't see is infinitely more frightening than what you do, and with nary a severed head or bloody corpse in sight, The Haunting is guaranteed to chill you to the bone. --Jeff Shannon

Get this movie! You will not regret it. Read the reviews, I totally agree.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00009NHB6/?tag=pfamazon01-20

On another note...

I am disappointed in the lack of decent ghost and monster movies on tv this month. :frown:

Anyway, if you are interested, for fun, in ghost stories, share them here.

Here a fun place to get you started.

http://science.howstuffworks.com/5-real-haunted-houses.htm

Physics news on Phys.org
What about The Exorcist? The 1960's or '70's original version. That is one SCARY movie. I don't usually get scared, but that one scared the living daylights outta me.

My all time favorite was Poltergeist, I also enjoyed The Exorcist and The Fog. Horror movies are the one thing I have in common with my mom and my grandma, every Saturday until I moved out my grandma would come over and the three of us would have a marathon. Only two movies succeeded in scaring me, Jaws which I never got to the end of, and Silence of The Lambs which I own and have watched countless times. My mom and I were recently discussing the lacking number of horror this month. We are subscribed the the Scream channel and its not even playing anything very good.

Those are good, and yes, the Exorcist was visually frightening. But I'm talking about a classic psychological ghost story that scares you by NOT showing you. There is no gore, you don't see anything, but you sense it. IT'S JUST REALLY GOOD. My old VHS tape is broken, I need to order the DVD.

Why don't they show these classics on tv anymore?

because they would have to cancel a couple of infomercials to show it.

Evo said:
Those are good, and yes, the Exorcist was visually frightening. But I'm talking about a classic psychological ghost story that scares you by NOT showing you. There is no gore, you don't see anything, but you sense it. IT'S JUST REALLY GOOD. My old VHS tape is broken, I need to order the DVD.

Why don't they show these classics on tv anymore?

You should get the scream channel, its all about showing the classics. I haven't been impressed with a lot of the later horror films, I don't like the blood and slashing type of thing

fileen said:
You should get the scream channel, its all about showing the classics. I haven't been impressed with a lot of the later horror films, I don't like the blood and slashing type of thing
I get free cable where I live, so I'd probably have to buy some expensive package to get it, if it's even offered. :frown: fileen, you sound like my kind of person. :approve:

What size shoe do you wear?

I love horror movies! Especially old one's, like 1960's or earlier.

It's a shame hollywood today has confused "scary" with "gory". Watching someone's head get smashed by a makeshift iron-maiden is not scary. Scary is your entire world falling apart before your eyes as you fail to make sense of anything. It's your sanity going through the window.

Has anyone ever read the House of Usher? That's scary. "Saw" is not.

Evo said:
I get free cable where I live, so I'd probably have to buy some expensive package to get it, if it's even offered. :frown: fileen, you sound like my kind of person. :approve:

What size shoe do you wear?

Haha 9 or 10, I love a nice new pair of heels I recently bought a lovely blue pair

I absolutely love Silence of the Lambs. Its one of the coolest movies ever made. What about the Village? Have you guys seen it?

What Lies Beneath, Saw 1, The Ring, The Shining, 28 Days Later(My personal favorite), Hellraiser, Mothman Prophecies, Salem's Lot, Nightmare on Elm Street, Amityville Horror(original), Blair Witch Project...are all must sees if you are into scary movies..I'm an avid watcher and fan of horror movies...

chaoseverlasting said:
I absolutely love Silence of the Lambs. Its one of the coolest movies ever made. What about the Village? Have you guys seen it?

I found the village a little disappointing. I was waiting for monsters and I got people in costumes. No doubt it was creepy, but I would much preferred some sort of terrifying monster or demon or something...

I like the original House on the Haunted Hill with Vincent Price - partly for nostalgic reasons. It was the movie shown on the first episode of Ghoulardi (actually Goulardi's Shock Theater). If you grew up in the Cleveland broadcasting area, you couldn't forget him. He's the reason white socks are called Parmas.

You recommended "The Haunting" in some other horror movie thread I think, and I rented it and enjoyed it very much.

I agree about the psychological part as well, about the whole effect the haunted house, or the story of the haunted house, had on its vistors, the unfortunate outcome, but also the whole genius of the story of a professor et al. staying in such a house.

Good film.

OrbitalPower said:
You recommended "The Haunting" in some other horror movie thread I think, and I rented it and enjoyed it very much.

I agree about the psychological part as well, about the whole effect the haunted house, or the story of the haunted house, had on its vistors, the unfortunate outcome, but also the whole genius of the story of a professor et al. staying in such a house.

Good film.
It's rated one of the top Haunted House films of all time. It's a true classic. Glad you enjoyed it.

john16O said:
, The Ring, .

Really?. My daughter and I watched that a while back and we both thought that it was over-hyped and not all that scary.

fileen said:
I also enjoyed The Exorcist

Another one that I didn't find as scary as it was hyped to be. Now Poltergeist, I enjoyed (though some of that may be because it was the first movie my wife and I saw while we were dating:wink:)

Janus said:
Another one that I didn't find as scary as it was hyped to be. Now Poltergeist, I enjoyed (though some of that may be because it was the first movie my wife and I saw while we were dating:wink:)
Janus, have you watched the 1963 "The Haunting'? It's not your normal fare. It's eerie, haunting, you don't see anything, no gore, it's psychological. Scared me when I first saw it when I was around 11, still scares me. It's an auditory scary film. The banging on the walls...best scene ever.

The Japanese original of the ring was something I loved. I've never seen the remake but I doubt it has the originals ambiance.

Evo said:
Janus, have you watched the 1963 "The Haunting'? It's not your normal fare. It's eerie, haunting, you don't see anything, no gore, it's psychological. Scared me when I first saw it when I was around 11, still scares me. It's an auditory scary film. The banging on the walls...best scene ever.

I haven't ever gotten around to watch it, though I have heard good things about it form others, including my wife.

On another note, have you ever read Henry Kuttner's The Graveyard Rats? It's a classic.

fileen said:
I found the village a little disappointing. I was waiting for monsters and I got people in costumes. No doubt it was creepy, but I would much preferred some sort of terrifying monster or demon or something...

Yeah, the ending was a bummer. Really anti climatic. What about some alfred hitchcock movies

1. What is the origin of Halloween?

Halloween has origins in the ancient Celtic festival of Samhain, which was celebrated on October 31st. It was believed that on this day, the boundary between the living and the dead was blurred, allowing spirits to roam the earth. As Christianity spread, the holiday became known as All Saints' Day, but many traditions from Samhain were incorporated into the celebration.

2. Why are ghost stories often associated with Halloween?

Ghost stories have long been associated with Halloween because of the holiday's ties to the spiritual world and the belief that the dead can communicate with the living on this day. It is also believed that as the days get shorter and colder, people tend to gather indoors and tell scary stories as a form of entertainment.

3. Are ghost stories based on real events?

There is no solid evidence that ghost stories are based on real events. However, many cultures and religions have beliefs in spirits or ghosts, and some people have claimed to have had encounters with them. These stories and experiences have been passed down through generations, leading to the creation of ghost stories.

4. Why do people enjoy being scared by ghost stories?

Being scared in a controlled environment, such as listening to ghost stories, can be an enjoyable experience for some people. It can provide a sense of thrill and excitement, and also allow individuals to confront their fears in a safe setting. Additionally, ghost stories often have a moral or lesson, making them not just scary, but thought-provoking as well.

5. How have ghost stories evolved over time?

Ghost stories have evolved significantly over time, from ancient folklore and superstitions to modern horror movies and literature. With advancements in technology, the way these stories are told and experienced has also changed. However, the underlying themes of fear, the supernatural, and the unknown remain consistent in most ghost stories, regardless of the era in which they were created.