Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hallucinogenic mushrooms (don't read if this topic offends you)

1. Jun 10, 2004 #1
    I have a few questions about hallucinogenic mushrooms. (I have never tried shrooms) I'm considering trying mushrooms while I'm in High School.
    Can you OD? As I understand it, yes, but you have to eat an obscene amount to OD (varies by species I imagine)

Are there any permanent effects on your mind or body?

What is the right species for recreational shrooming?
    thank you

Dark for fear of failure,
    An inner gloom as wide as an eye and fermenting,
    Roiling hate,
    Death grip in my veins,
    Unveiling rancid petals,
    Flowering forth fowl nectar,
    The space between a blink and a tear,
    Deathblooms

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 10, 2004 #2
    Psilocybe cubensis are the most often used species. But it really doesn't matter what kind you get, as long as it's psilocybin containing. Don't go for amanita though, if that what you're implying.

To OD I think you'd need to eat your body weight in dry mushrooms, or something like that. No one could handle that.

As for permanent effects it really does depend. On the body, no, there won't be any effects. However, there may be some alteration to your mind afterwards. Most often it's for the better but if you have a bad experience it probably would be for the worst.

www.erowid.org
    www.shroomery.org

4. Jun 10, 2004 #3
    Thank you for the info. I hope I don't have a bad trip if I do try. If it's actually the Psilocybin that makes you hallucinate, then you don't actually need the mushrooms, just that chemical, right? Sort of how you don't need marijuana, just THC, I think.

5. Jun 10, 2004 #4
    Glad to see you're making good use of your high school years.

6. Jun 10, 2004 #5
    yep. Wanna know what I really learned in highschool? lol It's better that I party now, instead of when I have work. I don't care if I go into class with a hangover, but work is another story. The school district won't teach me anything because they're worried about my emotions, bull**** like that. I'm Emotionally Disturbed.

7. Jun 10, 2004 #6
    oh ****, I'm a potty mouth

8. Jun 10, 2004 #7
    :rofl: :biggrin: :rofl:

9. Jun 10, 2004 #8
    I learned Physics and Calculus in High School, but I guess I was on a different graduation plan.

10. Jun 10, 2004 #9
    You should stay in school. It pays off later on!

Yeah, it's psilocybin/psilocin that makes you trip. There's also another chemical in there but I don't remember the name of it. Different species of mushrooms will provide their own trip that is somewhat unique (in a subtle way) which is due to the variation of the chemicals in the mushroom. The same goes with weed, it may be the THC getting you high but I gaurantee if you take some pure THC as opposed to soking a joint, you'd notice the two have extremely different buzzes.

Edit: As for the whole bad trip thing, it's easy to avoid them. I hope you're emotionally stable, if not mushrooms and all psychedelic drugs are probably not for you. Start with a low dose. I'd take 1.5 grams my first time. Even two is okay. But two can be a bit too intense, so I'd really just start with 1.5 or even 1 if you feel you aren't comfortable. If you ever start feeling bad during the trip, change the environment you're in. Go somewhere else, do something else. That really helps.

As for "permanent" effects, there really aren't any. I remember the first time took mushrooms I perceived the world as a more beautiful place afterwards. Expect something to that nature in terms of an alteration of your mind.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2004
  11. Jun 12, 2004 #10

Kerrie

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

eating too much can make you have severe stomach cramps and possibly even make you vomit. could even be worse if you focus on the fact that they do thrive in fields of cow feces.

12. Jun 13, 2004 #11
    A lot of other mushrooms grow in dung, it's full of nutrients and is moist. Street mushrooms are typically grown by an individual. It's really easy, actually. www.shroomery.org if you're interested.

Yeah, the nausea. Gut rot as I've heard it called. Makes me stay away from mushroom trips actually. I find the nausea carries on throughout the trip and really upsets everything. I hear brewing them in a tea subsides these negative effects but I have not tried this personally; a loss in psilocybin would occur so you'd have to add a bit more. There are recipies on www.erowid.org, and most definitely on the shroomery. Psilocybin is pretty unstable I believe so you'd have to add it to hot water, and not boiling water...Anyways, check out the shroomery!

A very interesting drug though! Be sure not too take too much your first time, unless you have quite a bit of experience with hallucinogenics. It will most probably turn you off completely if you would have a bad trip.

13. Jun 14, 2004 #12
    PubMed information on psilocybin toxicity

• Presse Med. 2003 Sep 20;32(30):1427-35.

[Acute higher funghi mushroom poisoning and its treatment]

[Article in French]

Saviuc P, Flesch F.

Unite de toxicologie clinique, CHU de Grenoble (38). PSaviuc@chu-grnoble.fr

PRINCIPLE: The various mushroom poisoning syndromes are summarised together with elements underlining uncertainty and lack of knowledge. For each of the classical syndromes concerned, classified in delays inferior or superior to 6 hours, the toxins and their mechanisms of action, the main mushrooms responsible, the symptoms and their treatment are all presented. EARLY SYNDROMES: Characterised by early onset within 6 hours, these represent the majority of intoxications. There are 6 syndromes: gastro-intestinal (resinoid), muscarine (sudorien, cholinergic), pantherine (myco-atropine, anticholinergic), coprine (similar to the antabuse syndrome), narcotine (psilocybin, hallucinatory) and paxillus syndrome (exceptional). LATE SYNDROMES: Characterised by an onset after six hours, they regroup the phalloid syndrome that is responsible for 90 to 95% of deaths due to higher funghi mushrooms, the orellanine and gyromitrin syndrome and new syndromes identified over the past decade concerning acute renal failure with shorter onset than during the orellanine syndrome (Amanita proxima), erythermalgia (Clitocybe amoenolens), rhabdomyolysis (Tricholoma equestre) and central nervous system failure (Hapalopilus rutilans).

PMID: 14534493

For more information on psilocybin toxicity, search PubMed for psilocybin.

14. Jun 14, 2004 #13
    http://www.erowid.org/plants/mushrooms/mushrooms_faq.shtml

There you have it, safer than aspirin.

15. Jun 14, 2004 #14
    The 7x difference in metabolism between rodents and humans

13 grams is 65 times 200 mg, and is one-fifth of one-thousandth of 65 kg.

It appears that the authors are not taking into account the difference in metabolism between rodents and humans which is generally assumed by medical researchers to be a factor of seven in favor of the rodents (rodents have higher metabolisms and can therefore absorb relatively larger doses). A dose of 200 mg per kg for a mouse is equivalent to a dose of two grams for a 70 kg (150 lb) human.

16. Jun 14, 2004 #15
    In EITHER case, I don't think anyone in their right mind would eat enough mushrooms to kill themselves.

Unless you're into comas.

17. Jun 14, 2004 #16
    From erowid:

Oral Psilocybin Dosages
    Threshold 2 mg
    Light 2 - 4 mg
    Common 4 - 8 mg
    Strong 8 - 20 mg
    Heavy 20 + mg

20 mg. 0.002 g. That's considered a heavy dose. This would be about 6 grams of dried mushrooms I believe. About 600 grams of dried mushrooms. The most I've done is 3.5 g, and that was extremely intense and hard to consume. I almost threw up. Now everytime I SMELL the stuff I nearly throw up. Anybody for 600 grams? Impossible. You'd have to have the pure psilocybin chemical to OD on it. But it's NEVER sold as that, unless you're a good friend of a chemist. And you'd have to be extremely retarded.

Just because it's an illegal drug doesn't mean it's toxic and liable to kill you. I'm sure aspirin would kill you in much smaller doses (speculating), however it's legal...Same with ethanol (aka alcohol)...Nicotine, don't even get me started..

18. Jun 17, 2004 #17
    20 mg = 0.02 g.

19. Jun 18, 2004 #18
    Whoops, typo, sorry.

The numbers still hold though...About 600 grams...I know that 6 grams is considered a "heavy" dose, so I assumed it would equate to about 20 mg..

20. Aug 7, 2004 #19
    Paul Stamets was the shroom guru. He is into medicinals these days and doesn't talk about illicit stuff anymore. Read his book.

SOme people prefer San Pedro cactus to shrooms. Most of the ebaysales are nonpsychoactive though. Ethnogens.com has some of the real stuff.

As for sickness you should fast for a day first. I also hear salt is to be avoided. In the right setting it can be wonderful. In a tense setting it should be avoided. Everything is more intense -- good or bad so pick the time, place and people.

21. Aug 7, 2004 #20
    Personally I've always found the thought of eating a fungus that grows on feces to be unacceptable.
    For your hallucinogenic experiences, I'd strongly recommend dipropyltryptamine (DPT)... the experience is far more intense, it's sold as a pure chemical, and most importantly it's legal. Only downside is that its very painful to insufflate, virtually inactive orally, and most people are opposed to injections. I've found doses around 50-75 delivered intramuscularly to be a profound positive experience with no severe side effects like nausea.

..and thunderfvck, I'll go ahead and get started on nicotine for you... by a number of clinical measures, it's the most deadly drug and the most addictive drug, neither property having anything to do with its legal status or the number of users. And incidently, opiates are the safest psychoactive drugs out there, with a high safety factor (LD50/ED50), and absolutely no permanent physical damage (most 5-HT based hallucinogens have very mild toxicity).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?