Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hallucinogenic orange mushrooms

1. Jun 22, 2005 #1
    I was throwing some rocks yesterday, when I picked up something that looked like but wasn't quite an orange roundish rock the size of my fist. It was a mushroom of some kind, much too light for a rock of that size and soft to boot.

Carefully, I washed my hands. But I felt very tired and upon lying on my bed the ceiling appeared to swirl a little and the colors appeared to fade, something like when you come into the dark after being outside on a bright day, only lasting longer. I then experienced very vivid and surreal dreams.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 22, 2005 #2
    Was there anything else that may have contributed to this?
    I don't know much about Mushrooms, hallucinogenic or not, but I'm pretty sure that it could have been due to inhaling spores. Not so sure about skin contact.

4. Jun 23, 2005 #3
    Where do you live, BT? Where did you throw the rocks? :smile:

5. Jun 23, 2005 #4
    I live in the US Northeast region and was throwing rocks in an abandoned sand and gravel pit.

It could have simply been that I was very tired. I was pretty tired before picking up the mushroom anyway. Strangely, I had gotten 10 hours of sleep the previous night.

There were no spores that I noticed visibly. I did prod the mushroom with my foot after picking it up because it looked like a children's rubber kickball that had been partly melted in a fire yet not deflated--I wasn't sure it wasn't made out of plastic until I rolled it over. I suppose I could have inhaled spores as a result of that.

6. Jun 23, 2005 #5
    Lactarius volemus?

Did it have any unusual smell?

7. Jun 23, 2005 #6
    Not that I noticed--it was totally round, almost a sphere. More the size of two fists than one, now that I think about it. Maybe that means it was not a mushroom but some other fungus.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?