Halo around moon on New Years Eve

In summary, a few friends of mine told me about seeing a beautiful halo around the moon on New Years Eve. They said it was very striking and that visibility was down to around one-hundred feet because of the freezing fog.
moose
Woot!

I was at a party on new years eve and at around 11:30 pm a lot of us climbed up onto the roof of the house (the house was HUGE :bugeye: ) and when I looked up, there was a clear halo around the moon. It was cool O_O. Anyway, a few hours later it was barely visible. It's just awesome that the first time I've ever seen this happened to be on New Years Eve... Several friends of mine have told me about times they have seen this and now I know exactly what they are talking about. I tried taking a picture with my cell, but it didn't work out too well...

Umm, I'm not sure what the point of this thread is (which is why this is in GD!).

Physics news on Phys.org
That is a cool thing to see, its caused by ice crystles and the degree{normally somewhere around 20%} makeing a prism effect.

moose said:
Woot!

I was at a party on new years eve and at around 11:30 pm a lot of us climbed up onto the roof of the house

Well, it's good you're still alive. :tongue2:

My wife Tsu mentioned this. She was in N. California and mentioned that there was a strikingly beautiful halo around the moon at midnight. It had been clear, but around 12 some broken clouds rolled in and the halo formed.

Here, there was a freezing fog so thick that visibility was down to about one-hundred feet.

Last edited:
Ivan Seeking said:
Here, there was a freezing fog so thick that visibility was down to about one-hundred feet.

I wish we had thick fog here...ever. I would whip out my green laser and it would be cool...

Are you in N. Ca. or is this a coincidence?

After that many beers, many things begin to have halos :smile:

Ivan Seeking said:
Are you in N. Ca. or is this a coincidence?

I'm in Phoenix... Interesting.

Hmm...driving through PA and NY tonight, there was still quite a pronounced halo visible around the moon early in the evening. The sky was very cloudy here too, but is there some reason the halo is so noticeable aside from the cloud coverage? Is it the position of the moon, or is it a bit brighter than usual?

What causes the halo around the moon on New Year's Eve?

The halo around the moon on New Year's Eve, also known as a lunar halo, is caused by the refraction of light through ice crystals in the Earth's atmosphere. These ice crystals are typically found in high altitude cirrus clouds.

Why is the halo around the moon more visible on New Year's Eve?

The halo around the moon may appear more visible on New Year's Eve due to the increased amount of moisture and humidity in the air. This can create more ice crystals in the atmosphere, resulting in a more prominent halo.

Is the halo around the moon on New Year's Eve a rare occurrence?

No, the halo around the moon on New Year's Eve is not a rare occurrence. It can happen on any night when there are cirrus clouds present, but because of the festive atmosphere and celebrations on New Year's Eve, it may be more noticeable and talked about.

What other factors can affect the visibility of the halo around the moon on New Year's Eve?

The visibility of the halo around the moon on New Year's Eve can also be affected by the location of the observer, as well as the weather conditions. Clear skies and a dark location away from city lights will provide the best viewing conditions.

Does the halo around the moon have any cultural significance on New Year's Eve?

In some cultures, the halo around the moon on New Year's Eve is seen as a symbol of good luck and prosperity for the upcoming year. It is also believed to bring a sense of magic and wonder to the night's festivities.