How Do Halogen Bulbs Connect in Makeup Mirrors?

• Thread starter KingNothing
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Work
In summary, halogen bulbs work like gas-discharge devices and have different electrode configurations to fit different fixtures. They do not have any fancy circuitry and tend to run hot. If you are replacing a halogen bulb, make sure you have the correct pin configuration for your specific fixture. Also, be aware that halogen bulbs are different from fluorescent bulbs, which are gas-discharge devices and may have associated circuitry called a ballast.
KingNothing
I am trying to replace a halogen bulb in an old makeup mirror. The bulbs has two metal prongs coming down. The mirror has some funky wiring which i assume is some sort of power inverter, but anyway...where it attached to the bulb, there is one black wire going to the bulb which seems to be connected to both prongs, while another red one seemingly has no place to connect to?

How do halogen bulbs work...is it just a ground and a power that gets connected, like in normal bulbs?

Physics news on Phys.org
KingNothing said:
How do halogen bulbs work...is it just a ground and a power that gets connected, like in normal bulbs?
Halogen bulbs work like any other gas-discharge device, the same as a neon sign. It sounds to me as if you bought the wrong kind of replacement. There are several different electrode configurations to fit different types of fixtures.

Halogen bulbs are just like incandesent bulbs, not gas discharge. They usually don't have any fancy circuitry, but tend to run hot and require special heat-resistant fixtures.

If you meant a fluorescent bulb by some chance, those ARE gas discharge devices, and they may have some associated circuitry with them (usually called ballast).

pervect said:
Halogen bulbs are just like incandesent bulbs, not gas discharge.
Somebody slap me right now. :redface: Even while I was reading and typing 'halogen', I was thinking 'fluorescent'. There are different pin configurations though, for different applications.

1. How do halogen bulbs produce light?

Halogen bulbs produce light through a process called incandescence. This involves passing an electric current through a tungsten filament, which heats up and emits visible light.

2. What makes halogen bulbs different from traditional incandescent bulbs?

Halogen bulbs contain a small amount of halogen gas, such as iodine or bromine, which helps to increase the lifespan and efficiency of the bulb compared to traditional incandescent bulbs.

3. How do halogen bulbs use the halogen gas to improve efficiency?

The halogen gas reacts with the tungsten filament as it heats up, preventing the tungsten from evaporating and depositing back onto the filament. This allows the filament to maintain its shape and prolong the life of the bulb.

4. How do halogen bulbs produce brighter light than incandescent bulbs?

Halogen bulbs can produce brighter light because the halogen gas allows the filament to operate at a higher temperature without burning out. This results in a more intense and whiter light compared to traditional incandescent bulbs.

5. Are halogen bulbs more energy efficient than incandescent bulbs?

Yes, halogen bulbs are more energy efficient than traditional incandescent bulbs. The halogen gas helps to reduce the amount of energy lost as heat, making them more energy efficient and longer lasting.