How Does the Hamilton-Jacobi Equation Describe Particle Motion in a Plane?

Since ##p_{\theta}## is constant, you should be able to evaluate ##\frac{\partial W_{r}}{\partial \alpha_{\theta}}## and ##\frac{\partial W_{\theta}}{\partial \alpha_{\theta}}## as constants. By equating these two expressions to the constant value of ##p_{\theta},## you should be able then determine ##r## as a function of ##\theta## by integrating a function of ##r.## You should find that ##r## varies with ##\theta## as you would expect for a free particle.In summary, the conversation discusses the motion of a free particle on a plane and how to find a complete integral
CAF123
Gold Member

Homework Statement

The motion of a free particle on a plane has hamiltonian $$H =E = \text{const} = \frac{1}{2m} (p_r^2 + \frac{p_{\theta}^2}{r^2})$$ Set up and find a complete integral for ##W##, the time independent generating function to canonical coordinates such that new coordinates are cyclic and momenta constant. (No need to evaluate explicitly)

Using this, find r as a function of t. Similarly find r as a function of theta.

Homework Equations

Hamilton Jacobi equation $$H(q, \frac{\partial W}{\partial q}) = \alpha_1$$

##W = W_r(r,\alpha) + W_{\theta}(\theta, \alpha)##

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I am just a bit confused on what 'complete integral' means. Since ##\theta## is a cyclic coordinate, ##p_{\theta} = \partial W/\partial \theta = \text{\const}## so can write the H-J equation as $$\frac{1}{2m} \left((\frac{\partial W_r}{\partial r})^2 + \frac{1}{r^2}\alpha_{\theta}^2\right) = E$$ which can be rewritten like $$W_r = \int^r \sqrt{2mE - \frac{1}{r^2} \alpha_{\theta}^2} dr'$$ Then $$\frac{\partial W_r}{\partial E} = \frac{1}{2}\int^2 \frac{1}{\sqrt{2mE - \frac{1}{r'^2}\alpha_{\theta}^2}}dr' = \frac{1}{2} \int^r \frac{r' dr'}{\sqrt{2mEr.^2 - \alpha_{\theta}^2}}$$, which can be solved using a sub, but I am not sure what I have really obtained through this calculation and how to obtain r explicitly in terms of theta.

Thanks!

I've been given a hint that the integral $$\int \frac{dx}{x \sqrt{x^2 - b^2}}$$ should be used somewhere and eval using x = b/cos u.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I believe an “integral” of the H-J equation is just another name for a solution of the H-J equation. A “complete integral” is a solution that depends on ##n## independent constants, where ##n## is the number of degrees of freedom. ##n## equals 2 in your problem and you can easily identify the two constants.

In your study of the H-J theory, you should have developed a relation between ##\frac{\partial W}{\partial E}## and the time ##t##. You found an expression for ##\frac{\partial W} {\partial E}## in terms of an integral of a function of ##r##. If you carry out the integration and use the relation between ##\frac{\partial W}{\partial E}## and ##t##, you can determine ##r## as a function of ##t##. You should find that ##r## varies with time as you would expect for a free particle.

To find the relation between ##r## and ##\theta##, you need to consider ##\frac{\partial W}{\partial \alpha_{\theta}}## where ##W = W_{r} + W_{\theta}.##

Likes CAF123

1. What is the Hamilton Jacobi Equation?

The Hamilton Jacobi Equation is a partial differential equation that describes the dynamics of a physical system in terms of its energy and momentum. It is a central equation in classical mechanics and is used to solve problems involving the motion of particles and systems in physics.

2. Who developed the Hamilton Jacobi Equation?

The Hamilton Jacobi Equation was first developed by William Rowan Hamilton and Carl Gustav Jacobi in the 19th century. Hamilton, an Irish mathematician, and Jacobi, a German mathematician, both independently derived the equation as a way to solve problems in classical mechanics.

3. What is the significance of the Hamilton Jacobi Equation?

The Hamilton Jacobi Equation is significant because it provides an alternative approach to solving problems in classical mechanics. It is a more powerful and general method than the traditional approach of using Newton's laws of motion. It also has applications in other fields, such as quantum mechanics and control theory.

4. How is the Hamilton Jacobi Equation used in physics?

The Hamilton Jacobi Equation is used to solve problems involving the motion of particles or systems in physics. It is especially useful for problems that involve multiple degrees of freedom and complex energy-momentum relationships. It is also used in the calculus of variations to find solutions that minimize a given action.

5. Can the Hamilton Jacobi Equation be solved analytically?

In most cases, the Hamilton Jacobi Equation cannot be solved analytically. However, there are some special cases where an analytic solution is possible, such as for simple systems with a single degree of freedom. In most cases, numerical methods are used to find approximate solutions to the equation.