1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hamilton Jacobi Equation

1. May 10, 2015 #1

CAF123

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The motion of a free particle on a plane has hamiltonian $$H =E = \text{const} = \frac{1}{2m} (p_r^2 + \frac{p_{\theta}^2}{r^2})$$ Set up and find a complete integral for ##W##, the time independent generating function to canonical coordinates such that new coordinates are cyclic and momenta constant. (No need to evaluate explicitly)

Using this, find r as a function of t. Similarly find r as a function of theta.

2. Relevant equations
    Hamilton Jacobi equation $$H(q, \frac{\partial W}{\partial q}) = \alpha_1$$

##W = W_r(r,\alpha) + W_{\theta}(\theta, \alpha)##

3. The attempt at a solution

I am just a bit confused on what 'complete integral' means. Since ##\theta## is a cyclic coordinate, ##p_{\theta} = \partial W/\partial \theta = \text{\const}## so can write the H-J equation as $$\frac{1}{2m} \left((\frac{\partial W_r}{\partial r})^2 + \frac{1}{r^2}\alpha_{\theta}^2\right) = E$$ which can be rewritten like $$W_r = \int^r \sqrt{2mE - \frac{1}{r^2} \alpha_{\theta}^2} dr'$$ Then $$\frac{\partial W_r}{\partial E} = \frac{1}{2}\int^2 \frac{1}{\sqrt{2mE - \frac{1}{r'^2}\alpha_{\theta}^2}}dr' = \frac{1}{2} \int^r \frac{r' dr'}{\sqrt{2mEr.^2 - \alpha_{\theta}^2}}$$, which can be solved using a sub, but I am not sure what I have really obtained through this calculation and how to obtain r explicitly in terms of theta.

Thanks!

I've been given a hint that the integral $$\int \frac{dx}{x \sqrt{x^2 - b^2}}$$ should be used somewhere and eval using x = b/cos u.

Last edited: May 10, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. May 10, 2015 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I believe an “integral” of the H-J equation is just another name for a solution of the H-J equation. A “complete integral” is a solution that depends on ##n## independent constants, where ##n## is the number of degrees of freedom. ##n## equals 2 in your problem and you can easily identify the two constants.

In your study of the H-J theory, you should have developed a relation between ##\frac{\partial W}{\partial E}## and the time ##t##. You found an expression for ##\frac{\partial W} {\partial E}## in terms of an integral of a function of ##r##. If you carry out the integration and use the relation between ##\frac{\partial W}{\partial E}## and ##t##, you can determine ##r## as a function of ##t##. You should find that ##r## varies with time as you would expect for a free particle.

To find the relation between ##r## and ##\theta##, you need to consider ##\frac{\partial W}{\partial \alpha_{\theta}}## where ##W = W_{r} + W_{\theta}.##

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted