1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hamilton-Jacobi problem

1. Feb 18, 2012 #1

fluidistic

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Using Hamilton-Jacobi's equation, find the motion equations and the trajectory of a particle in the field [itex]U (\vec r )=\frac{m \omega}{2} (x^2+y^2)[/itex].

2. Relevant equations
    [itex]H(q_1,...q_s,\frac{\partial S _0}{\partial q_1},...,\frac{\partial S _0}{\partial q_s})=E[/itex].
    Where [itex]S_0[/itex] is the abbreviated action, apparently worth [itex]\int \sum _i p_i dq_i[/itex].

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm self studying CM for a final exam on 7th of March (I can choose not to take the exam if I feel not ready but this would be a pain for the next semester). I've searched google and this forum for similar problems but didn't find anything that could really help me. What I found was heavy abstract math rather than applied problems like this one.
    Ok my attempt: I don't know if I can assume that the motion is in 3 dimensions or 2. Let's take 2 for the sake of simplicity.
    I use Cartesian coordinates so that the velocity is [itex]\dot {\vec r }=\dot x \hat i + \dot y \hat j[/itex]. Thus the total energy of the system is worth [itex]\frac{m (\dot x ^2 + \dot y ^2 )}{2}+\frac{m \omega}{2} (x^2+y^2)[/itex].
    The Hamiltonian is then [itex]H=E=\frac{1}{2m} (p_x ^2+ p_y ^2)+\frac{m \omega }{2}(x^2+y^2)[/itex].
    This is where I'm stuck. It looks like I must express the generalized momenta into the abbreviated actions, but I don't know how to do so. Any tip is greatly appreciated!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 19, 2012 #2
    use the poisson brackets

4. Feb 19, 2012 #3

fluidistic

Gold Member

Thanks for your reply.
    Somehow I don't see how this can help me. I'd appreciate if you could specify a bit more.
    I've checked into http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamilton–Jacobi_equation (there are several examples), in Landau's book and in Goldstein's book. None seems to involve any Poisson bracket.
    I am not 100% sure, but it seems that from [itex]E=\frac{1}{2m} (p_x ^2+ p_y ^2)+\frac{m \omega }{2}(x^2+y^2)[/itex] I can replace [itex]p_i[/itex] by [itex]\frac{\partial S _0 }{\partial q_i}[/itex]. I doubt if it shouldn't be [itex]\frac{\partial S }{\partial q_i}[/itex] or [itex]\frac{\partial S _i }{\partial q_i}[/itex] instead.

This would make [itex]\frac{1}{2m} \left [ \left ( \frac{\partial S _0}{\partial x} \right )^2+\left ( \frac{\partial S _0}{\partial y} \right )^2 \right ] +\frac{m\omega (x^2+y^2) }{2}=E[/itex]. I don't know what to do next. Should I solve for S?

Wikipedia takes the example of a particle in spherical coordinates. Laudau threats the same problem. However Landau totally depreciated a term in the potential function "because it's not interesting physically" or something like that. Wikipedia however do not simply get rid of a term because it's of few interest. I really don't understand what to do next...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook