Hamilton-Jacobi problem

• Thread starter fluidistic
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of Hamilton-Jacobi's equation to find the motion equations and trajectory of a particle in the field U(\vec r) = \frac{m\omega}{2}(x^2+y^2). The attempt at a solution involves using Cartesian coordinates, the Hamiltonian, and generalized momentum, but the individual is unsure about the next steps. They mention using Poisson brackets and replacing p_i with \frac{\partial S _0}{\partial q_i}, but are unsure if it should be \frac{\partial S}{\partial q_i} or \frac{\partial S_i}{\partial q_i}. The conversation also mentions examples from Wikipedia and Landau's book, but there is
fluidistic
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Using Hamilton-Jacobi's equation, find the motion equations and the trajectory of a particle in the field [itex]U (\vec r )=\frac{m \omega}{2} (x^2+y^2)[/itex].

Homework Equations

[itex]H(q_1,...q_s,\frac{\partial S _0}{\partial q_1},...,\frac{\partial S _0}{\partial q_s})=E[/itex].
Where [itex]S_0[/itex] is the abbreviated action, apparently worth [itex]\int \sum _i p_i dq_i[/itex].

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm self studying CM for a final exam on 7th of March (I can choose not to take the exam if I feel not ready but this would be a pain for the next semester). I've searched google and this forum for similar problems but didn't find anything that could really help me. What I found was heavy abstract math rather than applied problems like this one.
Ok my attempt: I don't know if I can assume that the motion is in 3 dimensions or 2. Let's take 2 for the sake of simplicity.
I use Cartesian coordinates so that the velocity is [itex]\dot {\vec r }=\dot x \hat i + \dot y \hat j[/itex]. Thus the total energy of the system is worth [itex]\frac{m (\dot x ^2 + \dot y ^2 )}{2}+\frac{m \omega}{2} (x^2+y^2)[/itex].
The Hamiltonian is then [itex]H=E=\frac{1}{2m} (p_x ^2+ p_y ^2)+\frac{m \omega }{2}(x^2+y^2)[/itex].
This is where I'm stuck. It looks like I must express the generalized momenta into the abbreviated actions, but I don't know how to do so. Any tip is greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
use the poisson brackets

sgd37 said:
use the poisson brackets
Thanks for your reply.
Somehow I don't see how this can help me. I'd appreciate if you could specify a bit more.
I've checked into http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamilton–Jacobi_equation (there are several examples), in Landau's book and in Goldstein's book. None seems to involve any Poisson bracket.
I am not 100% sure, but it seems that from [itex]E=\frac{1}{2m} (p_x ^2+ p_y ^2)+\frac{m \omega }{2}(x^2+y^2)[/itex] I can replace [itex]p_i[/itex] by [itex]\frac{\partial S _0 }{\partial q_i}[/itex]. I doubt if it shouldn't be [itex]\frac{\partial S }{\partial q_i}[/itex] or [itex]\frac{\partial S _i }{\partial q_i}[/itex] instead.

This would make [itex]\frac{1}{2m} \left [ \left ( \frac{\partial S _0}{\partial x} \right )^2+\left ( \frac{\partial S _0}{\partial y} \right )^2 \right ] +\frac{m\omega (x^2+y^2) }{2}=E[/itex]. I don't know what to do next. Should I solve for S?

Wikipedia takes the example of a particle in spherical coordinates. Laudau threats the same problem. However Landau totally depreciated a term in the potential function "because it's not interesting physically" or something like that. Wikipedia however do not simply get rid of a term because it's of few interest. I really don't understand what to do next...

1. What is the Hamilton-Jacobi problem?

The Hamilton-Jacobi problem is a mathematical problem in classical mechanics that involves finding a function that satisfies a partial differential equation known as the Hamilton-Jacobi equation. This function is called the action, and it is used to determine the dynamics of a system.

2. What is the significance of the Hamilton-Jacobi problem in physics?

The Hamilton-Jacobi problem is significant because it allows us to solve for the motion of a system without having to solve the equations of motion directly. This makes it a very useful tool in many areas of physics, such as in quantum mechanics, where solving the Schrödinger equation can be incredibly complex.

3. How is the Hamilton-Jacobi problem related to the principle of least action?

The Hamilton-Jacobi problem is closely related to the principle of least action, which states that a system will follow a path that minimizes the action. The action found through solving the Hamilton-Jacobi equation is the same as the action in the principle of least action, making it a powerful tool for determining the motion of a system.

4. Can the Hamilton-Jacobi problem be solved analytically?

In some cases, the Hamilton-Jacobi problem can be solved analytically using separation of variables or other mathematical techniques. However, in many cases, it is not possible to find an analytical solution and numerical methods must be used instead.

5. What are some real-world applications of the Hamilton-Jacobi problem?

The Hamilton-Jacobi problem has numerous applications in physics, engineering, and other fields. Some examples include studying the motion of particles in a magnetic field, predicting the behavior of quantum systems, and optimizing control systems in robotics and aerospace engineering.