1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Hamiltonian and symmetries

1. Jun 5, 2010 #1
    [QM] Hamiltonian and symmetries

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let there be the hamiltonian:
    [tex]H=\frac{P^2}{2m}+\frac{1}{2}m\omega^2(x^2+y^2+z^2)+kxyz+\frac{k^2}{\hbar \omega}x^2y^2z^2[/tex]
    Find the expectation value of the three components of [tex]\vec r[/tex] in the ground state using ONLY the symmetry properties of the hamiltonian.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I define this parity:
    [tex]\Pi_{xy}: x\rightarrow-x\ \ \ \ y\rightarrow-y[/tex]
    Then the hamiltonian commutes with this parity: [tex][H, \Pi_{xy}]=0[/tex]
    The ground state is not degenerate, so it has a definite parity with respect to [tex]\Pi_{xy}[/tex]:
    [tex]<gs|x|gs>=<gs|\Pi_{xy}\Pi_{xy}x\Pi_{xy}\Pi_{xy}|gs>=-<gs|\Pi_{xy}x\Pi_{xy}|gs>=-<gs|x|gs>[/tex]
    So <gs|x|gs>=0;
    Is it right?

Last edited: Jun 5, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 5, 2010 #2

kuruman

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Re: [QM] Hamiltonian and symmetries

That is not the definition of the parity operator I am familiar with. What happened to
    [tex]z\rightarrow-z?[/tex]
    Only because you defined "this parity" so that it commutes.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2010
  4. Jun 6, 2010 #3
    Yes, I know this is not the usual parity... but I don't really know any other way to solve this problem

5. Jun 6, 2010 #4

kuruman

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

As I mentioned earlier, your Hamiltonian is invariant under cyclic permutations. In other words, the system cannot distinguish x from y from z (it doesn't know the alphabet). What do you think that implies about the expectation values <x>, <y> and <z>?

6. Jun 7, 2010 #5
    That they are all the same?

7. Jun 7, 2010 #6

kuruman

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Correct. Since they are all the same, calculating one of them will give you the others. So what do you think that value can be and why?

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook