1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hamiltonian flow question

1. Jun 5, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

At what time does the particle reach infinity given that H(p,x)=(1/2)p^2 -(1/2)x^4. And initial values are x(0)=1 and p(0)=1

2. Relevant equations

The hamiltonian equations i believe are given by the partial derivatives let d mean partial derivative so x'=dH/dp and p'=-dH/dx
    3. The attempt at a solution well so far i have that x'=p and p'=2x^3 but at this point, im confused over how to impose the initial values... This is my attempt. By seperation of variables, dx/dt=p so (1/p)x=t+ c by integration and now i impose initial value of x(0)=1which gives me c=1/p so i get t=(1/p)x-(1/p) and for dp/dt i got t=(1/2x^3)p - (1/2x^3) . At this point im very confused what to do next or if im doing this right in the first place... How can i tell when the particle reaches infinity with two times??

Last edited: Jun 5, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 5, 2013 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You wrote H(p,x)=(1/2)x^2 -(1/2)x^4. Did you mean H(p,x) = (1/2)p^2 - (1/2)x^4?

4. Jun 5, 2013 #3
    Yes thanks for that :)

5. Jun 5, 2013 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

p' = 2x3?
    Doesn't look valid to me. Try looking at x''.

6. Jun 5, 2013 #5

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If I were dong this question I would avoid the dynamical equations and use instead conservation of energy (i.e., constant H).

7. Jun 5, 2013 #6
    Im just confused on how to use two initial conditions . Ray Vickson , what do you mean by the conservation of energy method?

8. Jun 6, 2013 #7

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Because of the form of the Hamiltonian, it is constant over time; that is, ##{\cal{H}}(t) \equiv H(p(t),x(t))## is constant. That means that for any t we have
    [tex] p^2(t) - x^4(t) = p^2(0) - x^4(0) = 0.[/tex] Since the mass is 1 (from the form of H) we have
    [tex] p(t) = \frac{d x(t)}{dt},[/tex]
    so we get immediately a first-order DE for ##x(t)##.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted