1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hamiltonian for the Be atom

1. Nov 27, 2006 #1
    I have a problem that uses the QM Hamiltonian for the berylium atom, but I am having trouble finding this Hamiltonian using the Born-Oppenheimer approximation (leaving out the nuclear-nucler and nucler-electron terms).
    Any know how to get this?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 28, 2006 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's not difficult. How many electrons does this atom have ? Can you treat the nucleus as a point particle charge ? Are you requires to use the spins of the electrons?

Daniel.

P.S. You can't leave out the nuclear-electron interaction terms.

4. Nov 28, 2006 #3
    Be has 4 electrons. Yes, they are assumed point charges. Electron spin should be included. Does it start with H=(-ћ2/2m)∑…? That is where I thought I should start, but am stuck after that. I have never seen a Hamiltonian developed for a many-electron atom.

5. Nov 29, 2006 #4

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You just have to add all possible terms: KE for the 4 electrons, KE for the nucleus, then Coulomb interaction for the 4 electrons among each other , Coulomb interaction for the 4 electrons with the nucleus and finally spin terms: spin-orbit interaction for the electrons and spin-spin interactions for the electrons, that is, of course, if you neglect nuclear spin.

Daniel.

6. Nov 29, 2006 #5
    Thanks for your help. I think I've got it now. Since I can make the Born-Oppenheimer approximation, I can leave KE for the nucleus out (basically ignore the nucleus all together) which I know is a HUGE assumption to make, but that is what the problem instructs.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?