Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Hamiltonian Matrix?

1. Apr 24, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I need to find the 2x2 Hamiltonian matrix for the Hamiltonian, which is written in second-quantized form as below for a system consisting of the electrons and photons.

H = h/ωb†b + E1a†1a1 + E2a†2a2 + Ca†1a2b† + Ca†2a1b,

a's are creation and annihilation operator for electrons, and b's are for photons.

2. Relevant equations

Need to be written in the basis of the following states

|φ1> = 1 √(n−1)! a2† (b†)^(n−1)|0>
    |φ2>= 1 √(n)! a1† (b†)^(n)|0>

I'm not sure where to begin. I'm guessing I have to find the eigenvalues and vectors of the hamiltonian but not sure how. Could someone help me start this problem? Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 24, 2010 #2

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No need to compute eigenvalues/vectors here...Just use the fact that any operator [itex]A[/itex] can be expressed in a basis [itex]\{|v_1\rangle,|v_2\rangle,\ldots|v_n\rangle\}[/itex] as a matrix with entries given by [itex]A_{ij}=\langle v_i|A|v_j\rangle[/itex]. So, for example [itex]H_{12}=\langle \psi_1|H|\psi_2\rangle[/itex]...just calculate the 4 inner products to get your 4 components.

4. Apr 24, 2010 #3

Cyosis

Homework Helper

Recall [itex]\hat{H} |e_j \rangle= H_{ij} |e_i \rangle[/itex]. Summation over i implied. How can you find the matrix elements from this?

5. Apr 24, 2010 #4
    Thanks to both of you. That helped a lot. I managed to do inner product for one of the terms of the Hamiltonian for just the first component of the matrix. Seems like this is going to be a long process. Is there a trick that I maybe missing that will reduce computations?

6. Apr 24, 2010 #5

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Just begin by calculating the effect of [itex]H[/itex] on each of your two basis states. After that, all 4 inner products should be straightforward.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook