1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hamiltonian Matrix?

1. Apr 24, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I need to find the 2x2 Hamiltonian matrix for the Hamiltonian, which is written in second-quantized form as below for a system consisting of the electrons and photons.

H = h/ωb†b + E1a†1a1 + E2a†2a2 + Ca†1a2b† + Ca†2a1b,

a's are creation and annihilation operator for electrons, and b's are for photons.

2. Relevant equations

Need to be written in the basis of the following states

|φ1> = 1 √(n−1)! a2† (b†)^(n−1)|0>
    |φ2>= 1 √(n)! a1† (b†)^(n)|0>

I'm not sure where to begin. I'm guessing I have to find the eigenvalues and vectors of the hamiltonian but not sure how. Could someone help me start this problem? Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 24, 2010 #2

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No need to compute eigenvalues/vectors here...Just use the fact that any operator [itex]A[/itex] can be expressed in a basis [itex]\{|v_1\rangle,|v_2\rangle,\ldots|v_n\rangle\}[/itex] as a matrix with entries given by [itex]A_{ij}=\langle v_i|A|v_j\rangle[/itex]. So, for example [itex]H_{12}=\langle \psi_1|H|\psi_2\rangle[/itex]...just calculate the 4 inner products to get your 4 components.

4. Apr 24, 2010 #3

Cyosis

Homework Helper

Recall [itex]\hat{H} |e_j \rangle= H_{ij} |e_i \rangle[/itex]. Summation over i implied. How can you find the matrix elements from this?

5. Apr 24, 2010 #4
    Thanks to both of you. That helped a lot. I managed to do inner product for one of the terms of the Hamiltonian for just the first component of the matrix. Seems like this is going to be a long process. Is there a trick that I maybe missing that will reduce computations?

6. Apr 24, 2010 #5

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Just begin by calculating the effect of [itex]H[/itex] on each of your two basis states. After that, all 4 inner products should be straightforward.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook