Hamiltonian Mechanics: Central Potential V(r) w/ Spherical Coordinates

In summary, I have obtained a Hamiltonian and equations of motion for a particle in a central potential. I have also shown how the equations simplify when one imposes the initial conditions. However, I am not sure how to proceed with the last part of the problem.
Logarythmic

Homework Statement

Using spherical coordinates [tex](r, \theta, \phi)[/tex], obtain the Hamiltonian and the Hamilton equations of motion for a particle in a central potential V(r).
Study how the Hamilton equations of motion simplify when one imposes the initial conditions [tex]p_{\phi}(0) = 0[/tex] and [tex]\phi (0) = 0[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I have obtained a Hamiltonian

[tex]H = \frac{1}{2m} \left( p_r^2 + \frac{p_{\theta}^2}{r^2} + \frac{p_{\phi}^2}{r^2 \sin^2{(\theta)}} \right) + V(r)[/tex]

and from this also the equations of motion

[tex]\dot{r} = \frac{p_r}{m}[/tex]
[tex]\dot{\theta} = \frac{p_{\theta}}{mr^2}[/tex]
[tex]\dot{\phi} = \frac{p_{\phi}^2}{r^2 \sin^2{(\theta)}}[/tex]

[tex]m \ddot{r} = \frac{1}{m} \left( \frac{p_{\theta}^2}{r^3} + \frac{p_{\phi}^2}{r^3 \sin^2{(\theta)}} \right) - \frac{\partial V}{\partial r}[/tex]
[tex]m^2 \left( 2r \dot{r} \dot{\theta} + r^2 \ddot{\theta} \right) = \frac{p_{\phi}^2 \cos{(\theta)}}{r^3 \sin^3{(\theta)}}[/tex]
[tex]2 \dot{r} \sin{(\theta)} \dot{\phi} + r \left( 2 \cos{(\theta)}\dot{\theta} \dot{\phi} + \sin{(\theta)} \ddot{\phi} \right) = 0[/tex]

But how should I proceed with the last part of the problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not too sure how you've got the last 3 eqns. It would be easier to just use the fact that [tex] \dot{p_i}=-\frac{\partial H}{\partial q_i} [/tex] Try doing it this way, then you will have the momentum terms on the LHS. It might be clear from the phi eqn obtained in this way how to use the initial conditions.

That's EXACTLY what my equations are. ;)

Ok, well consider the last equation. It can be written [tex] \dot{p_\phi} = -\frac{\partial H}{\partial \phi} = 0 [/tex] Integrating this, and using the initial conditions will allow you to simplify the other equations

Integrate with respect to what? I don't see this at all..

This equation can also be written as [tex] \frac{d p_\phi}{dt}=0 [/tex]. Can you integrate this?

That would take me back to

[tex]p_\phi = mr^2 \sin^2{\theta} \dot{\phi} = 0[/tex]?

Well... we get the equation [tex] p_\phi= C [/tex] where C is a constant of integration. Then, the intial conditions will imply that [tex] p_\phi [/tex] is zero for all t. Do a similar thing for [tex] \phi [/tex]. Remember that you are trying to show how the equations *simplify* on imposing the initial conditions

I don't get it. How does this simplify the equations?

Try putting [tex] p_\phi = 0 [/tex] into the equations you've posted in your question. You'll see it simplifies the equations! Then do a similar thing for the third equation, using the inital condition for phi

But what about the [tex]\phi[/tex]-part?

I'm not sure what else I can say without doing it for you! What equation do you get when you sub [tex] p_{phi}=0 [/tex] into the third equation? How can you solve this, and what is the answer given the initial conditions? [hint.. posts #6 and #8]

Then [tex]\phi = const. = 0[/tex]? Aha! ;)

Correct. Now the equations will look a lot simpler!

Yeah thanks for your help. I'm blaming on the fact that it's sunday today. ;)

1. What is Hamiltonian mechanics?

Hamiltonian mechanics is a mathematical framework for studying the motion and dynamics of particles in a physical system. It is based on the principle of least action, where the system's motion is described by a set of equations called Hamilton's equations.

2. What is a central potential in Hamiltonian mechanics?

A central potential in Hamiltonian mechanics is a potential energy function that depends only on the distance between two particles. This means that the potential energy is spherically symmetric, with the center of symmetry located at the origin.

3. What is V(r) in Hamiltonian mechanics with spherical coordinates?

V(r) in Hamiltonian mechanics with spherical coordinates is the potential energy function that depends on the distance between two particles, expressed in terms of spherical coordinates (r, θ, φ). It is used to describe the motion of particles in a central potential, where the potential energy only depends on the distance between the particles.

4. How are Hamiltonian mechanics and classical mechanics related?

Hamiltonian mechanics is a more general and mathematically rigorous version of classical mechanics. It is based on Hamilton's principle of least action and can be used to describe classical systems, such as particles in a central potential. Classical mechanics is a subset of Hamiltonian mechanics, where the motion of particles is described by Newton's laws of motion.

5. What are some applications of Hamiltonian mechanics in physics?

Hamiltonian mechanics has many applications in physics, including in celestial mechanics, electromagnetism, and quantum mechanics. It is used to study the motion of planets and stars in the solar system, the behavior of charged particles in electric and magnetic fields, and the dynamics of quantum systems such as atoms and molecules.