Hamiltonian of Massive Spin 1

Therefore, in summary, the solution for A_0 is incorrect and the expression for H needs to be corrected to account for the signs of the terms.
hbar340

Homework Statement

Starting from the proca lagrangian $$L=-\frac14 F_{uv}F^{uv}+\frac12 m^2 A_uA^u$$

Homework Equations

$$H=\sum p_i\dot{q_i}-L$$

The Attempt at a Solution

$$L=-\frac14F_{uv}F^{uv}+\frac12m^2A_uA^u\rightarrow\partial_uF^{uv}+m^2A^v=0$$
$$p^i=\frac{\partial L}{\partial (\partial_0 A_i)}=-F^{0i}$$
$$H=p^i\partial_0A_i+\frac{1}{4}F_{uv}F^{uv}-\frac12m^2\left(A_o^2-\vec A^2\right)$$
$$=p^i(\partial^iA_0-p^i)+\frac12(p^i)^2+\frac14 F_{ij}F^{ij}-\frac12m^2\left(A_o^2-\vec A^2\right)$$
$$=p^i\partial^iA_0-\frac12(p^i)^2+\frac{1}{4}F_{ij}F^{ij}-\frac12m^2\left(A_o^2-\vec A^2\right)$$
$$EOM: **A_0=-\frac{1}{m^2}\partial_ip^i**$$
$$H=p^i\partial^i\left(-\frac{1}{m^2}\partial_ip^i\right)-\frac12 (p^i)^2+\frac14 F_{ij}F^{ij}+\frac12m^2\vec A^2-\frac{\left(\partial_ip^i\right)^2}{m^2}$$

I am not sure how to get positive values in this, as H should be positive up to a total derivative

Physics news on Phys.org
. I think the issue may be in the calculation of A_0. Can someone please help me figure out where I went wrong?

There are a few issues with this solution. First, the equation for A_0 is incorrect. It should be A_0 = -1/m^2 * p^i, not -1/m^2 * partial_i p^i. This can be seen by taking the derivative of A_0 with respect to time and using the EOM for A_0.

Second, the expression for H is not correct. The term p^i * partial^i * A_0 should be -p^i * partial_i * A_0, as seen in the original lagrangian. Additionally, the last term - (partial_i p^i)^2/m^2 should be (partial_i p^i)^2/m^2. This results in a final expression for H of:

H = -p^i * partial_i * A_0 - 1/2 * (p^i)^2 + 1/4 * F_ij * F^ij + 1/2 * m^2 * A^2 + (partial_i p^i)^2/m^2

This expression is positive, as desired. The total derivative can be ignored since it does not affect the overall positivity of H.

1. What is the Hamiltonian of Massive Spin 1?

The Hamiltonian of Massive Spin 1 is a mathematical operator used in quantum mechanics to describe the energy of a particle with spin 1. It takes into account the kinetic energy and potential energy of the particle.

2. How is the Hamiltonian of Massive Spin 1 different from other Hamiltonians?

The Hamiltonian of Massive Spin 1 is unique because it includes terms for both the spin and mass of the particle, whereas other Hamiltonians may only consider one or the other. This makes it particularly useful for describing particles with spin 1, such as mesons and vector bosons.

3. What is the significance of the Hamiltonian of Massive Spin 1?

The Hamiltonian of Massive Spin 1 is significant because it helps us understand the behavior and properties of particles with spin 1. It also plays a crucial role in predicting and analyzing the interactions between these particles.

4. How is the Hamiltonian of Massive Spin 1 derived?

The Hamiltonian of Massive Spin 1 is derived from the relativistic energy-momentum relation and the Klein-Gordon equation, which describes the behavior of particles with spin 1. It is a complex mathematical process that involves using the principles of quantum mechanics and special relativity.

5. Can the Hamiltonian of Massive Spin 1 be applied to other particles?

While the Hamiltonian of Massive Spin 1 is specifically designed for particles with spin 1, it can also be modified and extended to describe the behavior of other particles with different spin values. This is an ongoing area of research in quantum mechanics.