Solving Hamiltonian Operator Homework: 1D Harmonic Oscillator

In summary, the question asks about the effects on the eigenvalue spectrum of the Hamiltonian when a constant is added to it. By using the Schrödinger equation and separating variables, it is shown that the eigenvalue spectrum of the new Hamiltonian will be shifted by the value of the constant. This result applies to any potential and the eigenvalue spectrum can be found by solving a 2nd order ODE.
captainjack2000

Homework Statement

One dimensional harmonic oscillator has the Hamiltonian
H(hat)=p(hat)/2m +0.5mw^2x(hat)^2
Show that the eigenvalue spectrum of H(hat) is
En=(n+0.5)h(bar)w n=0,1,2...
I've managed to show this

Suppose the real constant C is added to the Hamiltonian H(hat) to give the new Hamiltonian
H(hat)' = H(hat) + C
What is the eigenvalue spectrum of H(hat)' ?

Homework Equations

I am afraid I have no idea how to go about this question!

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
What would the eigenvalue equation for H' look like? What if you wrote it in terms of H?

Dear captainjack2000, it's really a good problem, and I wish I could do some help.

Firstly, I'm to re-express the problem. Generally, Hamiltonian operator is connected with the total energy,
$$
\hat{H}=\frac{\hat{p}^2}{2m}+V=-\frac{\hbar^2}{2m}\nabla^2+V,
$$
hence,
$$
\hat{H}'=\frac{\hat{p}^2}{2m}+(V+C)=-\frac{\hbar^2}{2m}\nabla^2+(V+C).
$$
So, the problem is indeed equal to:\\

\textsf{What are the effects on the eigenvalue spectrum of
Hamiltonian, due to the selection of zero reference level for
potential energy?}\\

Now, let's begin the analyses via Schr$\ddot{o}$dinger Equation (SE):
$$
i\hbar\frac{\partial}{\partial t}\Psi=\hat{H}\Psi, (Eq1)
$$
$$
i\hbar\frac{\partial}{\partial t}\Psi'=\hat{H}'\Psi'=(\hat{H}+C)\Psi', (Eq2)
$$
where $C$ is the difference resulting from the change of reference level for potential energy. Next let's formulate how $\Psi'$ differs from $\Psi$, and we introduce a phase shift factor as an attempt (this is in fact a common method, for example, we turn to this method again when we verify the Galilean invariance of wave equation, or explore the new formalism of wave equation from non-inertial reference under uniform acceleration):
$$
\Psi'=e^{\frac{-i\alpha t}{\hbar}}\Psi. (Eq3)
$$
Eq2 \& Eq3 lead to
$$
i\hbar\frac{\partial}{\partial t}\Psi'=e^{\frac{-i\alpha t}{\hbar}}(\hat{H}+C)\Psi.(Eq4)
$$
On the other hand, time derivative of Eq3 gives rise to
$$
i\hbar\frac{\partial}{\partial t}\Psi'=e^{\frac{-i\alpha t}{\hbar}}(i\hbar\frac{\partial}{\partial t}+\alpha)\Psi. (Eq5)
$$
Comparison of Eq4 and Eq5 results in
$$
(\hat{H}+C)\Psi=(i\hbar\frac{\partial}{\partial t}+\alpha)\Psi. (Eq6)
$$
Combination of Eq6 \& Eq1 immediately lead to
$$
\alpha=C. (Eq7)
$$
Hence, Eq3 and Eq4 are rewritten as
$$
\Psi'=e^{\frac{-iCt}{\hbar}}\Psi, (Eq8)
$$
$$
i\hbar\frac{\partial}{\partial t}\Psi'=e^{\frac{-iCt}{\hbar}}(\hat{H}+C)\Psi, (Eq9)
$$
respectively. Suppose $\Psi$ and $\Psi'$ are for stationary states, then, via separation of variables, we have
$$
\Psi(t,r)=e^{-iEt/\hbar}\phi(r) (Eq10)
$$
$$
\Psi'(t,r)=e^{-iE't/\hbar}\phi'(r) (Eq11)
$$
where $E$ and $E'$ are real constants, and separately represent the energy of the states $\Psi$ and $\Psi'$. From Eq9, Eq10 and Eq11, we
have
$$
i\hbar\frac{\partial}{\partial t}\Psi' =e^{\frac{-iCt}{\hbar}}(\hat{H}+C)\Psi =e^{\frac{-iCt}{\hbar}}(E+C)\Psi =(E+C)\Psi' (Eq12)
$$
where we used
$$
\hat{H}\phi(r)=E\phi(r),\sim \hat{H}\phi(r)e^{-iEt/\hbar}=E\phi(r)e^{-iEt/\hbar},\sim \hat{H}\Psi=E\Psi.
$$
Hence, to sum up, we attained that
$$
\Psi'(t,r)=e^{-iEt/\hbar}\Psi(t,r)
$$
$$
E'=E+C
$$
Now, we're ready to get down to the eigenvalue spectrum of the newHamiltonian $\hat{H}'$:
$$
\Psi(r,t)=\sum_n C_n\phi_n(r)e^{-iE'_nt/\hbar}.
$$
After separation of variables, for $\hat{H}'$, $\hat{H}'=\hat{H}+C$:
$$
\left(-\frac{\hbar^2}{2m}\nabla^2+U(r)+C\right)\phi(r)=E\phi(r).
$$
For simplicity, we take one-dimensional case as an example:
$$
\left(-\frac{\hbar^2}{2m}\frac{d^2}{dx^2}+U(r)+C\right)\phi(x)=E\phi(x).
$$
Hence
$$
-\frac{\hbar^2}{2m}\frac{d^2}{dx^2}\phi+[(E-C)+U(r)]\phi=0.
$$
Hence
$$
\frac{d^2}{dx^2}\phi+\frac{2m}{\hbar^2}\left[(E-C)+U(r)\right]\phi=0. (Eq13)
$$
This is the usual 2-order ODE, from which the spectra of Hamiltonian will be achieved. And before, with the ODE:
$$
\frac{d^2}{dx^2}\phi+\frac{2m}{\hbar^2}\left[E+U(r)\right]\phi=0, (Eq14)
$$
various special cases (i.e. $U(r)$ is determined in formalism), such as harmonic oscillators, infinite square wells, and we get the corresponding Hamiltonian spectra for each case, which depend on
$U(r)$:
$$
\text{Spectra Set}: {E_n:\quad E=E(n), n=0,1,2\ldots} (Eq15)
$$
Comparing Eq13 with Eq14, we just need to replace $E$ with $E-C$ in Eq15, hence,
$$
\text{Spectra Set}: {E_n: E-C=E(n), n=0,1,2\ldots},
$$
hence,
$$
\text{Spectra Set}: {E_n: E=E(n)+C, n=0,1,2\ldots}.
$$
Hence, we draw the conclusion that:
$$
\hat{H}'=H+C, \sim E'_n=E_n+C
$$
This result holds for arbitrary form of $U(r)$, i.e. for arbitrary potential.

Please translate the standard Latex codes yourself, or contact tianwj1@gmail.com for texified pdf file with visual formula.

Last edited:

1. What is a Hamiltonian operator?

A Hamiltonian operator is a mathematical operator used in quantum mechanics to describe the total energy of a system. It is represented by the symbol H and is composed of kinetic energy and potential energy terms.

2. What is a 1D harmonic oscillator?

A 1D harmonic oscillator is a simplified model of a vibrating system that oscillates back and forth along a single dimension, such as a mass attached to a spring. It is characterized by a restoring force that is proportional to the displacement from equilibrium.

3. How do you solve for the energy eigenvalues of a 1D harmonic oscillator?

To solve for the energy eigenvalues, or allowed energy levels, of a 1D harmonic oscillator, you can use the Schrödinger equation and the Hamiltonian operator. This will result in a set of discrete energy levels, with the lowest energy level being the ground state and the higher levels being excited states.

4. What is the significance of the zero-point energy in a 1D harmonic oscillator?

The zero-point energy in a 1D harmonic oscillator refers to the minimum amount of energy that the system possesses even at its lowest energy state. This is due to the Heisenberg uncertainty principle, which states that there will always be some uncertainty in the position and momentum of a particle. This energy is significant because it shows that even at its lowest energy state, the system still possesses some energy.

5. How does the potential energy affect the behavior of a 1D harmonic oscillator?

The potential energy affects the behavior of a 1D harmonic oscillator by determining the shape of the oscillations. A steeper potential energy curve will result in faster oscillations, while a shallower curve will result in slower oscillations. Additionally, the potential energy also determines the energy levels and the spacing between them in the system.