1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hamiltonian quantum mechanics

1. Jun 14, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A particle moves in a one dimensional potential : V(x) = 1/2(mω2x

Show that the function ψ(x) = a0exp(-βx2) is an eigenfunction for the Hamiltonian for a suitable value of β and calculate the value of energy E1

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

What I did was take the Hamiltonian, differentiate twice the function ψ(x) and then sub in the twice differentiated function along with the potential into the Hamiltonian. But there I get confused. Apparently taking a peek at the solutions, it argues that you should set the Hamiltonian to zero and then since it is supposed to be a constant, the x^2 terms cancel out and your final answer is β=mω/2hbar. I have no idea what they have done though! Any one care to explain? Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 14, 2012 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Show us what you got when you did that. If ##\psi## is an eigenfunction of ##\hat{H}##, what does ##\hat{H}\psi## have to equal?

4. Jun 14, 2012 #3
    So I got -h(bar)2/2m (4β2x2) ψ + 1/2mω2x2ψ = Hamiltonian

Hψ=Eψ?

5. Jun 14, 2012 #4

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

You're missing a term. You didn't differentiate correctly, perhaps.

Right, so after applying the Hamiltonian, you should be able to write the result as a constant times the original wave function. To do that, β will have to take on a specific value.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook