1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hamiltonian Question

1. Nov 11, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The simple form H=T+U is true only if your generalized coordinates are "natural"(relation between generalized and underlying Cartesian coordinates is independent of time). If the generalized coordinates are not natural, you must use the definition H=Ʃpq'-L. To illustrate this point, consider the following: Two children are playing catch inside a railroad car that is moving with varying speed V along a straight horizontal track. For generalized coordinates you can use the position(x,y,z) of the ball relative to a point fixed in the car, but in setting up the Hamiltionian you must use coordinates in an inertial frame-a frame fixed to the ground. Find the Hamiltonian for the ball and show that it is not equal to T+U (neither as measured in the car, nor as measured in the ground-based frame).

2. Relevant equations
    L=T-U
    H=Ʃpq'-L
    Px=[itex]\frac{dL}{dx'}[/itex]
    Py=[itex]\frac{dL}{dy'}[/itex]
    Pz=[itex]\frac{dL}{dz'}[/itex]

' is time derivative in this case

3. The attempt at a solution
    T=.5m(x'2+y'2+z'2)
    U=mgz; z is the vertical axis
    L=.5m(x'2+y'2+z'2)-mgz

Px=mx'
    Py=my'
    Pz=mz'
    Pv=mv

H=Ʃpq'-L
    H=Pxx'+Pyy'+Pzz'+Pvx'-.5m(x'2+y'2+z'2)+mgz
    H=Px(Px/m)+Py(Py/m)+Pz(Pz/m)+mv(Px/m)-.5m(x'2+y'2+z'2)+mgz

If I continue this way, I end up with
    H=(Px2+Py2+Pz2)/(2m)+Pxv+mgz
    but the correct answer is
    H=(Px2+Py2+Pz2)/(2m)-Pxv+mgz

Does anyone see where I went wrong, or is my answer correct, just with different sign convention?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 12, 2013 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Shouldn't your expression for T depend on V?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted