Hamiltonian System with NDSolve

In summary, a Hamiltonian system is a type of physical system described by the Hamiltonian function that follows the laws of classical mechanics. NDSolve is a function used to numerically solve differential equations, including those for Hamiltonian systems. It offers advantages such as handling complex systems and external forces, but also has limitations such as requiring initial conditions and being affected by numerical parameters. Alternative methods for solving Hamiltonian systems exist, but may not be as versatile as NDSolve.
Grandpa
So I'm trying to solve the following Hamiltonian system using Mathematica.

solution = NDSolve[{x'[t] == 2p[t], x[0] == 2,
p'[t] == I*(2 + 1/2)(I*x[t])^(1 + 1/2), p[0] == 1-2*I}, {x, p}, {t,0,10}, MaxSteps -> Infinity][[1]];

I'm letting E=1, so at all points t, it should be that
(p[t]/.solution)^2-(I*x[t]/.solution)^(2+1/2)=1.

That is the case until the function crosses a branch cut on the complex x-plane that runs from 0 to i*(Infinity). Once the function crosses the branch cut, the system no longer preserves E and the value changes to something around 1.3.

How can I go about fixing this problem? I've already tried working with the precision and accuracy goals, and that didn't work. I also tried the SymplecticPartitionedRungeKutta method, and that didn't work either. I'm not sure what else to consider. Any help would be appreciated.

I was thinking about having the program just continue in the same direction when x[t] gets really near the branch cut, but I'm not sure what to use to program that.

Thanks,
Alex

Physics news on Phys.org

it is important to carefully analyze the problem and understand the underlying physics before attempting to solve it computationally. In this case, it seems that the Hamiltonian system you are trying to solve has a singularity at the branch cut on the complex x-plane. This means that the system does not have a well-defined solution at that point, and any numerical method will struggle to accurately solve it.

One approach to address this issue is to modify the Hamiltonian system itself. This can be done by introducing a regularization parameter, which essentially smooths out the singularity and allows for a well-defined solution to be obtained. This approach is commonly used in the numerical solution of singular Hamiltonian systems.

Another option is to use a different numerical method that is specifically designed to handle singularities. One such method is the "symplectic integrator," which is known to preserve the Hamiltonian structure of the system and can handle singularities more accurately than standard methods.

It is also worth considering the physical implications of the branch cut in your system. Is it a physical singularity, or just a mathematical artifact? Depending on the answer, it may be possible to reformulate the problem in a different way that avoids the singularity altogether.

In summary, there are a few different approaches you can try to address the issue of the branch cut in your Hamiltonian system. It may also be helpful to consult with other researchers in the field or seek guidance from experts in numerical methods to find the best solution for your specific problem. Good luck!

1. What is a Hamiltonian system?

A Hamiltonian system is a type of physical system that follows the laws of classical mechanics. It is described by the Hamiltonian function, which is a mathematical expression that summarizes the total energy of the system. Hamiltonian systems are commonly used to model the behavior of particles, such as planets orbiting a star.

2. How does NDSolve work with Hamiltonian systems?

NDSolve is a function in the Wolfram Language that is used to numerically solve differential equations. It can be used to solve Hamiltonian systems by converting the system's equations of motion into a set of first-order differential equations, which can then be solved using NDSolve.

3. What are the advantages of using NDSolve for Hamiltonian systems?

NDSolve offers several advantages for solving Hamiltonian systems. It is able to handle complex and highly nonlinear systems, and can accurately solve equations with multiple variables and constraints. Additionally, NDSolve allows for the inclusion of external forces and other external perturbations in the system.

4. What are the limitations of using NDSolve for Hamiltonian systems?

One limitation of NDSolve is that it requires a set of initial conditions to solve the equations of motion for a Hamiltonian system. These initial conditions must be known or estimated, which can be challenging for complex systems. Additionally, the accuracy of the results may be affected by the choice of numerical parameters and the complexity of the equations being solved.

5. Are there any alternative methods for solving Hamiltonian systems?

Yes, there are alternative methods for solving Hamiltonian systems, including analytical methods such as the Hamilton-Jacobi equation or the Poisson bracket. However, these methods are limited to simpler systems and may not be able to accurately model more complex systems. NDSolve offers a powerful and versatile numerical approach for solving Hamiltonian systems.