1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hamiltonians, non-interacting hydrogenic systems, spin correction. Help!

1. Dec 30, 2008 #1
    Eyoop gents, just looking for a wee bit of help with a correction term in the energy of a ground state hydrogenic Helium nucleus. I tried searching, but I didn't find what I needed.

Non-interacting hamiltonian for two hydrogenic atom is
    [tex]\hat{H}_{0} = -\frac{\hbar^{2}}{2m}\left(\nabla^{2}_{1} + \nabla^{2}_{2}\right) - \frac{Ze^{2}}{4\pi\epsilon_{0}}\left(\frac{1}{r_{1}} + \frac{1}{r_{2}}\right)[/tex]

The overall Hamiltonian is

[tex]\hat{H} = \hat{H_{0}} + V[/tex]

[tex]V = \frac{e^{2}}{4\pi\epsilon_{0}r_{1 2}}[/tex]

Z = 2 for He nucleus.

The ground state of [tex]\hat{H_{0}}[/tex] is the product wavefunction [tex]\Psi_{100}\left(\vec{r_{1}}\right)\Psi_{100}\left(\vec{r_{2}}\right)[/tex]

[tex]E_{n} = -\frac{Z^{2}}{n^{2}}Ry[/tex]

The first part asks what the corresponding energy is.

That's given by [tex]\hat{H}\Psi_{100} = E_{1}}\Psi_{100} [/tex]

For no interaction [tex]\hat{H_{0}}\Psi_{100}\left(\vec{r_{1}}\right)\Psi_{100}\left(\vec{r_{2}}\right) = \hat{H}\left(\vec{r_{1}}\right)}\Psi_{100}\left(\vec{r_{1}}\right)\Psi_{100}\left(\vec{r_{2}}\right) + \hat{H}\left(\vec{r_{2}}\right)}\Psi_{100}\left(\vec{r_{1}}\right)\Psi_{100}\left(\vec{r_{2}}\right)

= 2E_{1}\Psi_{100}\left(\vec{r_{1}}\right)\Psi_{100}\left(\vec{r_{2}}\right)[/tex]

[tex]2E_{1} = -2Z^{2}Ry = -8Ry[/tex]

"What is the ground state when spin is included?"

I know it should be of the form of [tex]2E_{1} = -2Z^{2}Ry + correction term= -8Ry + correction[/tex], but I can't for the life of me find the term. Help what is it???
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?