Hamilton's principle and Lagrangian mechanics

In summary, the discussion explores the historical development of Lagrange's equations and Hamilton's principle. Lagrange, who lived in the eighteenth century, had his own "Lagrangian" concept, but he did not think of integrating it over time. However, later on, Hamilton introduced a new "least action principle" that used the Lagrangian as an argument. It is speculated that Lagrange may have discovered his equations without realizing the variational integral involved. The concept of virtual work was either discovered by Lagrange or D'alembert. Maupertuis proposed the forerunner of the principle of least action, and Euler derived the Euler equations from it, leading to the creation of analytical mechanics by Lagrange in his
alexepascual
I have seen that Lagrange's equations are some times derived from Hamilton's principle. This makes me wonder what the historical development of these ideas was. Hamilton lived in the nineteenth century while Lagrange lived in the eighteenth century.
The principle that minimizes the integral of the Lagrangian over time is called "Hamilton's principle", so I would assume that Lagrange had not thought about this. But he did have his "Lagrangian" (even if he didn't call it by that name). I would assume that Lagrange's equations were developed by Lagrange, and Lagrange's equations use the Lagrangian.
So, if Lagrange was using the Lagrangian, how come he didn't think of integrating the Lagrangian over time?.
Some place I read that the "Lagrangian approach" uses the integral of the viz viva (mv2) over time. This would be equivalent to the integral of p*ds (which is the Maupertuisian action).
So, this story sounds a little strange. Lagrange uses a principle of least action which uses mv2 as it's integrand instead of using the Lagrangian (which he invented). Then comes Hamilton who thinks up a new "least action principle" which uses the Lagrangian as argument.
Am I missing something here, or am I wrong about some of what I just said?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I would *guess* that Lagrange got as far as Lagrange's equations, without realizing that his equations minimized a variational integral. But I don't know the actual history. One approach that leads to Lagrange's equations is the "virtual work" approach.

History of the Lagrangian:
Maupertuis proposed the forerunner of the principle of least action.
Daniel Bernoulli brought it to the attention of Euler.
Euler, fascinated with the mathematical problem, created the Calculus of Variations and derived the Euler equations form the minimized (actually stationized) action.
Lagrange used Euler's result, formed the general Lagrangean representation of the action and used this, plus his virtual work idea, to create the science of analytical mechanics in his Mechanique Analitique.

Hamilton's problem with Lagrange's method was that the Euler equations in it came out as second order differential equations. Hamilton sought for an approach that would yield first degree equations, and found it.

Thanks for your responses guys and sorry for the delay. I had forgotten to subscrive to this thread.
I still have some questions.
If you translate Maupertui's action S=integral{p ds} into energy, you get an integral of 2T over time, not the Lagrangian. So it looks like Maupertui's action is quite different conceptually form the Action you get from the Lagrangian.
From what I remember, the action obtained by integrating the Lagrangian is known as Hamiltonian Action, which would give the hint that Lagrange was not the one who came up with it.
My questions are:
(1) Did Lagrange at any point integrate the Lagrangian over time and talk about minimizing that or was Hamilton the first one to do it?
(2) Was Lagrange who discovered the concept of virtual work or was it D'alembert (or someone before him)?
Thanks again,
Alex

1. What is Hamilton's principle?

Hamilton's principle is a fundamental principle in classical mechanics that states that the true path of a system between two points in time is the one that makes the action (the integral of the Lagrangian over time) stationary. In other words, the path that the system actually follows is the one that minimizes the action.

2. How is Hamilton's principle related to Lagrangian mechanics?

Lagrangian mechanics is a mathematical formalism for describing the motion of a system based on the Lagrangian function, which is the difference between the kinetic and potential energy of the system. Hamilton's principle provides a way to derive the equations of motion in Lagrangian mechanics by minimizing the action.

3. What is the difference between Hamilton's principle and Newton's laws of motion?

Hamilton's principle is a more general and elegant formulation of classical mechanics compared to Newton's laws of motion. While Newton's laws describe the behavior of individual particles, Hamilton's principle deals with the motion of entire systems and takes into account all forces acting on the system.

4. Can Hamilton's principle be applied to all physical systems?

Yes, Hamilton's principle can be applied to any physical system, as long as it can be described using the Lagrangian formalism. This includes systems ranging from simple particles to complex systems like fluids and electromagnetic fields.

5. What are the practical applications of Hamilton's principle and Lagrangian mechanics?

Hamilton's principle and Lagrangian mechanics have many practical applications in physics, engineering, and other fields. They are used to model and analyze the behavior of mechanical and physical systems, such as satellites, pendulums, and electrical circuits. They are also used in the development of control systems, robotics, and other technologies.