1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hamlet Quotes

1. Apr 18, 2005 #1
    This may seem like a stupid question to ask, but i kind of have a test tonight. Is there a free site where can i find maybe a list of important quotes in hamlet (act 4 in particular)? i tried sparknotes, but they have very few quotes. Thanx

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 18, 2005 #2

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Get thee to a nunnery!
    Life's but a candle; aye that's the rub..much ado about nothing, really..

4. Apr 18, 2005 #3
    Why don't you read Act 4? It shouldn't take that long. If you have already used sparknotes, you can't get much better than what they have - sparknotes has the most important information and theme analysis.

5. Apr 18, 2005 #4

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Last edited: Apr 18, 2005
  6. Apr 18, 2005 #5
    I've read it, but i have quote identification on the test. There's no way i can memorize the entire thing! That's why i want to find some quotes that may probably be put on this test.

7. Apr 18, 2005 #6
    I have a funny story about learning hamlet back in school.

When I was in grade 10 I was in a split class room with grade 11 students. Rather then the teacher teach 2 diff Shakespeare stories for each class they decided to teach Hamlet to both 10 and 11, then next year the would learn Mid Summers night dream or something. Killing 2 Birds with one stone, so to speak.

I hated it and did terrible my first time through it. Next year when I was grade 11 our school district made a rule that Hamlet was to be taught no matter what for grade 11 language class. Already had all my old essays and going through it again with a much better teacher made me appreciate it all the much more. I was getting really good at it too.

Then I moved to Edmonton in grade 12. Wouldn’t you guess it, Hamlet was being taught for our grade 12 English class. Having 2 years experience with Hamlet I was pretty knowledgeable about this story and aced ever assignment and test the teacher could possibly through at us.

Hell, I knew more about the story and all its metaphors and symbolisms then the teacher did lol. Still do to this day. Moral of the story? Well, if there is one it would be… If you study it for 3 years, you will eventually understand any Shakespearian play…

8. Apr 18, 2005 #7

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

I'll throw down the gauntlet then, mapper:
    Provide an analysis of Claudius' monologue with Hamlet standing behind him contemplating murder..:wink:

9. Apr 18, 2005 #8
    ahh, remember that well. Its been 10 years too! But really need to get back to work. Another time perhaps. :wink:

10. Apr 18, 2005 #9
    Sorry to rain in your parade, lol. Anyways....anything important in act 4?

11. Apr 18, 2005 #10

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Read it yourself, and find out what you deem important.

12. Apr 19, 2005 #11
    Hamlet - scene analysis

Just curious...in the last act during the duel, Claudius places a pearl in Hamlet's cup. What is important about this, besides the fact that it identifies the cup as Hamlet's (as Claudius hopes that Hamlet will drink from it)?

13. Apr 19, 2005 #12

mrjeffy321

Science Advisor

I believe the pearl is what contained the poison. my teacher (crazy as she is) explained it as, "back then, they had all sorts of things that they hollowed out so they could hide stuff in", so when he droped the pearl in, he poisoned it for hamlet, he couldnt very well take out a bottle marked "poison" and pour it in right in front of him.

14. Apr 19, 2005 #13
    arildno,

"I'll throw down the gauntlet then, mapper:
    Provide an analysis of Claudius' monologue with Hamlet standing behind him contemplating murder.."

I'll take that challenge! You mean the one that begins:

"My offense is rank, it smells to heaven.
    It hath the primal eldest curse upon it....

What's the last line? (and no peeking!)

15. Apr 21, 2005 #14

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Sure, as long as you provide a good analysis of the quoted lines..

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?