1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hammer and Nail

1. Feb 17, 2006 #1
    Hi! Here's the question: I really need a starting block for this because I really don't know where to start.

The collision between a hammer and a nail can be considered to be approximately elastic. Estimate the kinetic energy acquired by a 15 g nail when it is struck by a 550 g hammer moving with a speed of 3.7 m/s.

Do I use this equation: (M1 * Vo) = (M1 * V1Final) + (M2 * V2Final)

My book doesn't help anymore than this! Please help!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 17, 2006 #2

What does it mean fopr a collision to be elastic? There is one more concept that you need to use.

4. Feb 17, 2006 #3
    Ok. I got it. I came up with this formula that substitutes the inelastic equation because like you said, there is more than once concept. Here is what I used:

Kf = .5(m2) * (2m1 / m1 +m2)^2 * vo^2

m2 is the weight of the nail in kg
    m1 is the the weight of the hammer in kg

I got K= .3933 J

Thanks for the help!

5. Feb 17, 2006 #4
    The problem said the collision was elastic not inelastic and you definitely can't use conservation of energy with inelastic collisions.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?