Understanding Rotational Velocity in a Hamster Wheel

In summary, if you want to find out the rotational velocity of a hamster running on a wheel, you first need to figure out its linear speed and then divide that by 2 pi to get the rotational velocity.
flash
If a hamster runs in a wheel, how do I figure out the rotational velocity that the wheel achieves (after it stops accelerating)? Is it to do with the mass of the hamster or the speed at which it runs?
I'm familiar with the basic concepts of rotational motion (moment of inertia, torque etc) but unsure of where to go. Any help appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
This isn't a technical question - think! If the speed were determined by the weight of the hamster, then a dead one would work as well as a live one. Clearly, yes, it's the running speed.

Lol I guess so. But isn't it the weight force of the hamster that causes the torque? If its just the speed then how would I work out the angular velocity given the running speed of the animal?

Angular velocity is just rotations / second.
Linear spped is distance / second.
All you need to know is how much distance = 1 revolution, = 2 pi * radius

So let's say the radius was 1m and the speed of the hamster was 10m/s
1 revolution = 2pi = 6.28 metres
time for 1 rev = 2pi/10 = 0.628 seconds
angular velocity = 0.628^-1 = 1.59 rev/s = 10radians/s
Correct?

Still confused, if there was no friction wouldn't the angular velocity increase forever? If not then somewhere along the way there is no net torque?

Also if this wheel were to power a generator or turn something heavy, how would this effect the result?

Last edited:
If there is no friction and the hamster can keep running faster and faster forever then there is no limit until the hamster starts approaching the speed of light. (the relativistic hamster problem)
The hamster does apply a torque to the wheel to move it but torque is just a force, you don't store up torque - you store angular momentum.

10m/sec? That's a FAST hamster. Even if it is nonrelativistic.

But as long as it's applying a torque the wheel accelerates right?
It ran at 10m/s to make my life easier :)

You are thinking that if the hamster supplies a constant torque the wheel must get a constant acceleration and so get faster.
If the hamster as outside the wheel and just gave it a single constant force kick on each revolution then it would accelarate.

If it had a load on the wheel (like a generator) am I right to assume that this increases the moment of inertia? It would seem that the top speed of the wheel should be slower though?

Last edited:
flash said:
Lol I guess so. But isn't it the weight force of the hamster that causes the torque? If its just the speed then how would I work out the angular velocity given the running speed of the animal?

The simple relationship between angular velocity and linear velocity is:

[tex]v=r \omega[/tex]

Additionally, if the hamster can only move his legs so fast (fast enough to go 10 m/s), then eventually the hamster can do no more than spin the wheel at a constant speed. The hamster provides an initial torque that decreases as the speed increases until the hamster is moving as fast as it can go.

You might be able to calculate the speed of a hamster if you could estimate the radius of the wheel in this video (http://www.glumbert.com/media/hamsterwheel). I think the display is showing km/hr, but the speedometer is designed for a larger wheel. Supposedly, dividing by 10 gives the correct km/hr, but that's twice the speed of the hamsters in another study (http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=1769401).

10 m/s would be one fast hamster in any event!

BobG said:
10 m/s would be one fast hamster in any event!
It could be an observational bias, if there was a species of hamster capable of 10m/s would anyone have caught one to classify it?

mgb_phys said:
It could be an observational bias, if there was a species of hamster capable of 10m/s would anyone have caught one to classify it?

I recommend a scoped .17 caliber varmint rifle w/tranq dart.

:cool:

Likes jfizzix

1. Why do hamsters run in a wheel?

Hamsters are natural burrowers and they have a strong instinct to run and explore. In captivity, they may not have the same opportunities to dig and explore, so running in a wheel provides them with a way to exercise and satisfy their natural instincts.

2. How long should a hamster run in a wheel?

It is recommended that hamsters have access to a wheel for at least a few hours a day. However, some hamsters may enjoy running longer and may even run for several hours at a time. It is important to monitor your hamster's behavior and make sure they are not overexerting themselves.

3. Can hamsters get injured from running in a wheel?

While running in a wheel is a natural behavior for hamsters, it is important to choose a wheel that is the appropriate size for your hamster and has a solid surface. Wire or mesh wheels can cause injuries to a hamster's feet and should be avoided. Additionally, it is important to regularly clean the wheel to prevent any buildup of bacteria or debris that could cause harm.

4. What are the benefits of a hamster running in a wheel?

Running in a wheel provides numerous benefits for hamsters. It helps them stay physically fit and active, which is important for their overall health and well-being. It also helps to prevent boredom and can be a form of mental stimulation for hamsters. Additionally, it can help to reduce stress and anxiety in hamsters.

5. Do all hamsters enjoy running in a wheel?

While most hamsters will enjoy running in a wheel, some may not be interested in it or may prefer other forms of exercise. It is important to observe your hamster's behavior and provide them with other forms of enrichment and exercise if they do not seem to enjoy using a wheel.