Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hand crank generator

1. Nov 7, 2007 #1
    Hello all,

I have to design a hand crank generator to produce power for some downstream application. The amount of power is on the order of that needed for anything between a heavy-duty flashlight to one of those desktop mini-fridges that hold one soda can.
    Thing is, I'm drawing a blank on the physics of an electric motor. I need to know what variables power generation depends on, i.e., number of coils, speed of rotation, torque of rotation etc.

Also, I was planning on connecting the hand crank to an electric motor type device to produce power, but does anyone have any other suggestions specifically for the hand-cranking mechanism?

Can anyone help me out please? Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 12, 2007 #2
    Many people sell hand crank generators similar to what you ask for. However, if you want to build one, get an old car generator (VW bugs had small ones) and a bicycle rear wheel/crank to drive it. A lot of radios have been run off that combination.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?