1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hand crank generator

1. Nov 7, 2007 #1
    Hello all,

I have to design a hand crank generator to produce power for some downstream application. The amount of power is on the order of that needed for anything between a heavy-duty flashlight to one of those desktop mini-fridges that hold one soda can.
    Thing is, I'm drawing a blank on the physics of an electric motor. I need to know what variables power generation depends on, i.e., number of coils, speed of rotation, torque of rotation etc.

Also, I was planning on connecting the hand crank to an electric motor type device to produce power, but does anyone have any other suggestions specifically for the hand-cranking mechanism?

Can anyone help me out please? Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 12, 2007 #2
    Many people sell hand crank generators similar to what you ask for. However, if you want to build one, get an old car generator (VW bugs had small ones) and a bicycle rear wheel/crank to drive it. A lot of radios have been run off that combination.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook