1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hand Cranked Generator?

1. Jan 29, 2010 #1
    I need to build a hand cranked generator that can create enough electricity to maybe charge a cell phone. How would I do this?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 29, 2010 #2

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

I'd probably just cannabalize an existing generator made for this purpose. There's a ton of them out there that you can find by googling the title of the thread.

[edit] Actually, scratch that - no need to cannabalize anything. This exact product exists. https://www.amazon.com/American-FR1...1_fkmr0_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1264820372&sr=1-2-fkmr0

And though I've never used it to charge a cell phone, I think my hand crank radio/flashlight can also charge a cell phone. Not sure, though. It's this one: http://www.ecrater.com/product.php?pid=4234703

You may have to build the adapter.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  4. Jan 29, 2010 #3

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Yep. I've got a crank flashlight with a cellphone plug on it. Keep it in the car.

5. Jan 30, 2010 #4
    While you're building green chargers, or whatever you wanna call them, you could build one out of solar panels, or copy the shake and charge flashlights, or if you've a little Ham Radio operator in you, build your own WiFi charger, which I'd bet could be modified to work with any cordless phones and possibly lower power waves with the correct crystals. I doubt that AM/FM bands would provide enough power, but then again any 'free' energy is energy, so its a possibility. piezo-electric (sp?) components are moving forward again, so if you were really inclined you could theoretically extended battery life by including some components inside of the phone. Probably not enough to recharge the battery, but more than likely enough to extend the battery life. Anytime I'm leaning back in my work chair and thinking about where I can grab some 'free' (I just mean no power company included. or batteries purchased.) energy. Basically if there is ANY change in ANYTHING, there is a theoretically sound method for creating or thieving energy from it. Most cells charge on .5 - 2.0 amps at 5 volts. I think. Correct me if I'm wrong someone.

6. Jan 30, 2010 #5

turbo

Gold Member

Eton also makes the Solarlink FR-600. AM, FM, SW, NOAA bands, light, siren, phone charger. You can use batteries, or charge the internal batteries with the built-in solar cells or dynamo.

7. Feb 4, 2010 #6
    i need to design some hand-cranked charger for my project...do have any idea that can help me?
    i mean what web can i study to understand the principle..

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook