Comparing Normal Distributions: Dodgers vs. Rockies Run Scoring Probability

• Thread starter dmlockwood
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Statistics
In summary, the conversation discusses how to determine the probability of one team scoring more runs than the other based on their average runs scored and standard deviation. It is mentioned that the difference of two normal distributions is also a normal distribution and the steps to find the probability are explained.
dmlockwood
Lets say, that the Los Angeles Dodgers have an average runs scored of 5.25 (the sample mean). The standard deviation across this sample is 3.15. The Colorado Rockies have an average runs scored of 4.45 and a standard deviation of 3.65. Assuming normal distributions, how would we determine the probability of the Rockies scoring more runs than the Dodgers, and vise versa.

I know that I am really generalizing things here...there is more to it. This example illustrates what I am trying to do though...compare two normal distrubutions. I have taken statistics courses, but it's been a while...any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
You're looking for the probability P(scoreD < scoreR) or vice versa.

P(scoreD < scoreR) = P(0 < scoreR - scoreD)

which means you need to derive the distribution of the difference scoreR - scoreD.

Luckily, the difference of two normals is itself a normal distribution. See Properties. In your case, the difference is V = X - Y = scoreR - scoreD.

Last edited:
Clarification

I understand how you can find a z score for either of these distributions, but I don't know where to measure the score.

If I want to find the probability of the Dodgers scoring 4 runs...I could find the z score for that. Wouldn't I have to know where these two distributions meet though, before you can just subtract the results of the z score.

Thanks for your reply...if you could clarify this for me that would be great!

For this type of problem you cannot find the z scores first, then take their difference.

The mean of "R - D" is (mean of R) - (mean of D). Say the difference is M = 4.45 - 5.25.

The variance of "R - D" is (var. of R) + (var of D). Say the sum is V = (3.65)2 + (3.15)2.

Now normalize z = (x - M)/sqrt(V). This is your z score for "R - D".

Say you want P(0 < R - D) = 1 - P(R - D < 0). That is x = 0. The z score you want is then z = (0 - M)/sqrt(V) = -M/sqrt(V). Which will give you the probability that the Rockies will "beat" the Dodgers.

Last edited:

1. What is handicapping statistics?

Handicapping statistics is a branch of statistics that involves analyzing and interpreting data to predict the outcome of a future event, such as a sports game or a horse race. It is used to determine the likelihood of a specific outcome and to make informed decisions when placing bets or making predictions.

2. How is handicapping statistics different from regular statistics?

Handicapping statistics is specifically focused on predicting the outcome of a specific event, whereas regular statistics may be used for a variety of purposes. Handicapping statistics often use specialized techniques and models that are tailored to the specific event being analyzed.

3. What types of data are used in handicapping statistics?

Handicapping statistics can use a variety of data, including past performance data of players or teams, physical and physiological data, and data on external factors such as weather conditions or injuries. The specific data used will depend on the event and the type of prediction being made.

4. How accurate are handicapping statistics?

The accuracy of handicapping statistics can vary depending on the quality of the data and the methods used to analyze it. However, when done correctly, handicapping statistics can provide valuable insights and predictions that can improve the chances of making successful bets or predictions.

5. Can anyone use handicapping statistics, or is it only for experts?

Anyone can learn and use handicapping statistics, but it does require a certain level of knowledge and expertise to be successful. It involves understanding statistical concepts, data analysis techniques, and the specific factors that can impact the outcome of the event being analyzed. With practice and experience, anyone can improve their skills in handicapping statistics.