1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hang glider velocity question

1. Oct 11, 2006 #1
    The altitude of a hang glider is increasing at a rate of 6.75 m/s. At the same time, the shadow of the glider moves along the ground at a speed of 17.0 m/s when the sun is directly overhead. Find the magnitude of the glider's velocity.

I drew this diagram all out and I still cannot understand the concept of this. I don't understand...I could figure this out if I was given an angle at wihch the hang glider was traveling...but since Im not i do not know how to figure this out. Where can I start??? any help please??

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 11, 2006 #2

OlderDan

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Effectively, you have been given both the vertical and horizontal velocity. That is all you need. Knowing both of these, you could find the angle if you needed to.

4. Oct 11, 2006 #3
    AH thanks I didnt need the angle but that got me to thinking about how to get it and i realized to use pythagorean theorem. THANKS!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?