Finding the Velocity of a Hang Glider: Where to Start?

• Thread starter metalmagik
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Velocity
In summary, the conversation discusses the altitude and shadow speed of a hang glider, with a given vertical and horizontal velocity. The angle of the glider's velocity can be found using the Pythagorean Theorem.
metalmagik
The altitude of a hang glider is increasing at a rate of 6.75 m/s. At the same time, the shadow of the glider moves along the ground at a speed of 17.0 m/s when the sun is directly overhead. Find the magnitude of the glider's velocity.

I drew this diagram all out and I still cannot understand the concept of this. I don't understand...I could figure this out if I was given an angle at wihch the hang glider was traveling...but since I am not i do not know how to figure this out. Where can I start? any help please??

Physics news on Phys.org
Effectively, you have been given both the vertical and horizontal velocity. That is all you need. Knowing both of these, you could find the angle if you needed to.

AH thanks I didnt need the angle but that got me to thinking about how to get it and i realized to use pythagorean theorem. THANKS!

1. What is hang glider velocity?

Hang glider velocity refers to the speed at which a hang glider is moving through the air. It is typically measured in miles per hour (mph) or kilometers per hour (km/h).

2. How is hang glider velocity calculated?

Hang glider velocity is calculated by dividing the distance traveled by the time it took to travel that distance. This can be measured using instruments such as a GPS or an anemometer.

3. What factors affect hang glider velocity?

The main factors that affect hang glider velocity are wind speed and direction, the weight of the hang glider and pilot, and the aerodynamic design of the hang glider.

4. What is the average hang glider velocity?

The average hang glider velocity can vary depending on factors such as wind conditions and pilot skill, but it is typically between 25-35 mph (40-56 km/h). However, experienced pilots can reach speeds of up to 60 mph (96 km/h).

5. How does hang glider velocity compare to other flying methods?

Hang glider velocity is generally slower than other flying methods such as paragliding or powered flight, but it allows for a more peaceful and intimate flying experience. It also has the advantage of being able to stay in the air for longer periods of time by using rising air currents.