Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hanged from a crane aged 16 (the girl, not the crane)

1. Jul 24, 2006 #1
    EXCLUSIVE: HANGED FROM A CRANE AGED 16
    EXCLUSIVE JUSTICE IRAN STYLE: SICK GIRL EXECUTED BY JUDGE SHE DEFIED Her crime? She had sex with an unmarried man
    By Susie Boniface
    Something to be kept in mind when reviewing any crises in the middle east. Iran is constantly exporting its Islamic revolution to countries such as Lebanon and Iraq. It is the puppetmaster behind Hizbullah and is gaining a strong hold over Hamas too.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 24, 2006 #2
    I think we both know that Lebanon is nothing like this.

4. Jul 24, 2006 #3

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Iran, or just about any country in the Middle East have not gone through a period of secular Enlightenment.
    This is extremely saddening, since it means that religious fanatics are not confronted with their own deep moral failings that are intimately connected with the particular brand of religion they are attached to.

5. Jul 24, 2006 #4

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Hezbollah is very much the proxy for Iran. Where do you think they get all those rockets, or the money to provide the social services that has helped them dominate southern Lebanon as their own satrapy?

6. Jul 24, 2006 #5

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You'd be surprised how bad it is in seemingly progressive (a relative term) countries, when it comes to remote, rural areas. It is true in Turkey, Jordan, Egypt, Saudi Arabia, Pakistan, India, Malaysia,...

The only difference is that in some places, the governments don't care enough to do more to stop it, while in others the government actively encourages it.

7. Jul 24, 2006 #6
    lebanon, was/is quite a forward thinking democratic country, untill it was blighted by its cival war. It has almost 50% christians living there, so dont equate Lebanon with extreem Islamists.

I know, but lebanon isnt Hezbollah.

8. Jul 24, 2006 #7

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Read this in the Times but a week ago.

http://www.bianet.org/2006/07/01_eng/news82368.htm

It's not like honor killings are legal in Turkey - which is among the most progressive of the states with an Islamic population - but at the same time politicos are reluctant to anger the conservative voter.

9. Jul 24, 2006 #8

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

You can read on Peter Tatchell's page how Iran treats gay teenagers:
    http://www.petertatchell.net

Once again, there is simply only one word adequate to describe the leaders of Iran:
    They are EVIL, and their evil is strongly connected with basic moral flaws within Islamic thinking.

I would also like to remind people what was just about the only form of public entertainment allowed in the Taliban regime of Afghanistan:

PUBLIC EXECUTIONS.

10. Jul 24, 2006 #9
    Now that is a swweeeeepppiiinnggggg statement! Consider all the "Christian crusades" and the genocides that entailed, for example South America.

Basic moral flaws in Christingdom? yeap.

Its nothing to do with Islam and everything to do with radicalisation.

11. Jul 24, 2006 #10
    Iran did, but our proxy war with Russia convinced them to turn back.

12. Jul 24, 2006 #11

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

I was censored at PF from saying just that (CAVEAT: I put the words in a too antagonistic tone, that was my fault).
    "Thou shalt not suffer a witch to live"
    This is a DUTY TO DO MURDER for all Christians, since it stands in their holy book.
    You don't think statements like this have anything to do with the prosecution of witches in earlier times?

Please don't overlook an obvious cause of evil in many cultures, even though you have been trained from childhood to regard religion as an inherently good thing.

13. Jul 24, 2006 #12

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

I know that.
    The Enlightenment period in Europe has scarcely lasted 300 years, and is today under an extremely powerful, subtle attack:
    Namely, that to embrace unreason&religion is inherently a good thing, and that those who say otherwise are intolerant.

14. Jul 24, 2006 #13
  15. Jul 24, 2006 #14
    Quoting the Bible doesn't rightly make a case agaisnt Islam.

16. Jul 24, 2006 #15

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

And equally hate-filled sentences can be found in the Quran.
    Just pick a page at random and read it.
    It is quite likely you'll find something.

17. Jul 24, 2006 #16
    I read a fair chunk of it for a history of world religions course and found much good in those texts.

18. Jul 24, 2006 #17

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Your point being? :confused:

Do you deny that the sentence "Thou shalt not suffer a witch to live" makes murder a duty for those who want to make the Bible into the set of rules they are to live by?

19. Jul 24, 2006 #18
    My point is that your quoting of the Bible isn't relevent to this thread.

20. Jul 24, 2006 #19

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, before you run around condemning things you obviously know nothing about, that comes from the old testament, which by definition is not the source of Christianity.

This thread is doomed if you don't stop the generalized religion bashing. I already deleted one of your posts Arildno, and by all rights you should have been penalized for violating the forum rules.

21. Jul 24, 2006 #20

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

So, do you actually state that there are no analogous statements in the Quran???

My, oh my..

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?