Creating a Garden Around Your Cottage: Evergreen Plant Suggestions

In summary, the conversation is about suggestions for plants to put in hanging baskets, specifically something evergreen that flowers in the summer. The participants mention resources for finding suitable plants, as well as personal recommendations. They also discuss their climate and the desired blooming time for the plants.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
I have several around my. cott, i need some suggestions as to what plants
to put in them, some thing evergreen that flowers maybe

Physics news on Phys.org
http://www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/basics/techniques/plant_hangingbasket.shtml :biggrin:

http://www.ukgardening.co.uk/project_basket.asp :biggrin:

and PM the each of the PF sisters and make each a basket of their favorite flowers. :biggrin:

We had a hanging basket (can't remember the flowers unfortunately) with a quit a bit of sphagnum moss. A pair of thrushes nested in it and they had two babies. We got to see them leave the nest on their first flight. :smile: I stuck around until the little one's got off the ground which took about an hour.

Last edited by a moderator:
What's your climate like? Finding something evergreen that flowers year round is a bit tough. We have a Christmas Cactus that blooms all year long as long as it gets decent light. It's OK when it's not in bloom, but the blooms make up for it when they're out.

I'm a fan of Fuschias myself for hanging baskets.

FredGarvin said:
What's your climate like? Finding something evergreen that flowers year round is a bit tough. We have a Christmas Cactus that blooms all year long as long as it gets decent light. It's OK when it's not in bloom, but the blooms make up for it when they're out.

I'm a fan of Fuschias myself for hanging baskets.

Our climate? well of late it has been around 0 to minus 5, now it is wet
and plus 5 ish, i guess summer temps will be between 60 to 70 average,
some of my baskets are mostly in the shade, the ones in the front of the
cott will get good morning sunlight.
I do not want year round flowers, it would just be nice if they bloomed some time in the summer.

1. What are some evergreen plants that are suitable for a cottage garden?

Some popular evergreen plant suggestions for a cottage garden include boxwood, holly, lavender, rosemary, and juniper.

2. How do I choose the right evergreen plants for my cottage garden?

When choosing evergreen plants for your cottage garden, consider factors such as the amount of sunlight, soil type, and climate in your area. It is also important to consider the overall aesthetic and design of your garden.

3. Can I mix evergreen plants with other types of plants in my cottage garden?

Yes, evergreen plants can be mixed with other types of plants in a cottage garden. In fact, incorporating a variety of plant types can add visual interest and diversity to your garden.

4. How do I care for evergreen plants in my cottage garden?

Caring for evergreen plants in a cottage garden is similar to caring for other plants. Make sure to water them regularly, provide adequate sunlight and nutrients, and prune as needed to maintain their shape and size.

5. Can I create a cottage garden with only evergreen plants?

While evergreen plants are a popular choice for cottage gardens, they are not the only option. Some other plants that are commonly found in cottage gardens include perennials, annuals, and flowering shrubs. However, it is possible to create a garden solely with evergreen plants if desired.