Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hanging baskets

1. Feb 14, 2006 #1

Gold Member

I have several around my. cott, i need some suggestions as to what plants
    to put in them, some thing evergreen that flowers maybe
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 14, 2006 #2

Staff: Mentor

http://www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/basics/techniques/plant_hangingbasket.shtml :biggrin:

http://www.ukgardening.co.uk/project_basket.asp :biggrin:

and PM the each of the PF sisters and make each a basket of their favorite flowers. :biggrin:

We had a hanging basket (can't remember the flowers unfortunately) with a quit a bit of sphagnum moss. A pair of thrushes nested in it and they had two babies. We got to see them leave the nest on their first flight. :smile: I stuck around until the little one's got off the ground which took about an hour.
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2006
  4. Feb 14, 2006 #3

Science Advisor

What's your climate like? Finding something evergreen that flowers year round is a bit tough. We have a Christmas Cactus that blooms all year long as long as it gets decent light. It's OK when it's not in bloom, but the blooms make up for it when they're out.

I'm a fan of Fuschias myself for hanging baskets.
  5. Feb 15, 2006 #4

Gold Member

Our climate? well of late it has been around 0 to minus 5, now it is wet
    and plus 5 ish, i guess summer temps will be between 60 to 70 average,
    some of my baskets are mostly in the shade, the ones in the front of the
    cott will get good morning sunlight.
    I do not want year round flowers, it would just be nice if they bloomed some time in the summer.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?