1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hanging Beam

1. Mar 19, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A purple beam is hinged to a wall to hold up a blue sign. The beam has a mass of mb = 6.7 kg and the sign has a mass of ms = 16.8 kg. The length of the beam is L = 2.43 m. The sign is attached at the very end of the beam, but the horizontal wire holding up the beam is attached 2/3 of the way to the end of the beam. The angle the wire makes with the beam is θ = 32.9°.

Q1: What is the net force the hinge exerts on the beam?
    Q2:The maximum tension the wire can have without breaking is T = 921 N.
    What is the maximum mass sign that can be hung from the beam?

2. Relevant equations

τ=0 as it is static
    F=0 as it is not moving

3. The attempt at a solution

For the first question, I form τ=0 where I have 3 torque, τ of tension, τ of beam and do I include τ of the sign?
    And sum of forces is 0, so I have forces on hinge of x is Fh,x-Tcosθ=0, component of y is Fh,y-mbg-msg-Tsinθ=0
    mbg is mass of beam, msg is mass of the sign.
    Is there somewhere I did it wrong?

Second question I use r*T=(mb*horizontal distance from the hinge+m*horizontal distance from the hinge)*9.81
    Is this correct?

Last edited: Mar 19, 2012
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted