Hanging Block Inclined plane

In summary, the problem involves an 18kg cart connected to a 12kg hanging block, and the goal is to find the magnitude of acceleration of the cart. Relevant equations include F=ma, Fx=Fgsinx, and Fy=FgCosx. The attempted solution involves calculating the parallel and perpendicular forces, adding the parallel force to the downward force of the weight on the pulley, and dividing by the total masses. However, the correct answer of 7.3 m/s*2 cannot be obtained. One possible solution is to draw a free body diagram for each block and use the equation \Sigma \vec{F} = m\vec{a} to find the net acceleration. The question of whether to
polishdude20

Homework Statement

An 18kg cart is connected to a 12kg hanging block at the bottom of the incline (ignore friction)

What is the magnitude of acceleration of the cart?

Homework Equations

F=ma
Fx=Fgsinx
Fy=FgCosx

The Attempt at a Solution

well without the hanging weight i calculatoed the force parallel to the plane to be 101.2 N
and the force perpendicular to the plane is 144.5 N
I tried adding the X force (101.2N) to the downward force of the weight on the pulley (176.4 ) and then dividing by the total masses. But I can never get the right answer its supposed to be 7.3 m/s*2 but I don't know how its obtained.

Physics news on Phys.org
can anyone help?

Try drawing a free body diagram of each block. What forces act on each?

Then use the fact that [tex]\Sigma \vec{F} = m\vec{a}[/tex] to find the net acceleration.

yes i tried that and i don't know do i add the fg of the hanging block to the Fx of the block on the plane?

I would approach this problem by first analyzing the forces acting on the system. We have the force of gravity acting on both the cart and the hanging block, which can be calculated using the equation F=mg. We also have the normal force from the incline, which is equal in magnitude to the force of gravity perpendicular to the incline. Since there is no friction, we can ignore that force.

Next, we can use Newton's second law, F=ma, to determine the acceleration of the system. We know that the net force acting on the system is the sum of the forces parallel to the incline, which is equal to the force of gravity on the cart (F=mg) minus the force of gravity on the hanging block (F=mg). This gives us a net force of 18g-12g=6g.

Using the equation F=ma, we can plug in the net force of 6g and the total mass of the system (18kg+12kg=30kg) to solve for acceleration. This gives us an acceleration of 6g/30kg = 0.2g = 1.96 m/s^2. This is the acceleration of the system as a whole, which includes both the cart and the hanging block.

To find the acceleration of the cart alone, we can use the same equation, F=ma, but this time the net force acting on the cart is only the force parallel to the incline (101.2 N). Plugging in this value and the mass of the cart (18kg), we get an acceleration of 101.2N/18kg = 5.62 m/s^2. This is the acceleration of the cart as it moves up the incline.

In conclusion, the magnitude of acceleration of the cart is 5.62 m/s^2, while the magnitude of acceleration of the entire system is 1.96 m/s^2. It is important to note that the hanging block does not have any acceleration since it is being supported by the pulley.

What is a hanging block inclined plane?

A hanging block inclined plane is a simple machine that consists of a flat surface (the inclined plane) that is tilted at an angle and a block or object that is hung or attached to a pulley system and moves along the plane due to gravity.

How does a hanging block inclined plane work?

A hanging block inclined plane works by reducing the effort needed to move an object from one point to another by allowing gravity to do most of the work. The inclined plane reduces the force needed to move the object by spreading it out over a longer distance.

What are the advantages of using a hanging block inclined plane?

The main advantage of using a hanging block inclined plane is that it reduces the effort needed to move an object and makes it easier to lift heavy objects. It also allows for the use of a smaller force over a longer distance, making it more practical for certain tasks. Additionally, it can be used to change the direction of movement of an object.

What are some real-life examples of hanging block inclined planes?

Hanging block inclined planes are commonly used in construction, such as for lifting heavy materials to higher levels. They are also used in transportation systems, such as elevators and escalators, as well as in household items like wheelchair ramps and garage door openers.

What are some variations of hanging block inclined planes?

There are several variations of hanging block inclined planes, including the wedge, screw, and ramp. The wedge is a double-inclined plane that is used for splitting objects, such as an ax or knife. The screw is a spiral inclined plane that is used to lift or hold objects in place. The ramp is a sloping inclined plane that is used for easy movement of objects, such as for loading and unloading items from a truck.