1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hanging charged spheres

1. Aug 16, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data[]

Two spheres each of 5g, tied to 1.0m strings, repel each other after being charged to +91nC of the two spheres . What is the angle θ they form with the vertical after repulsion

2. Relevant equations

(1) F = mg....m=5.0g, g= 9.8m/s^2
    (2) F = Kq1q2/r^2 .....q1=q2=q=+91nC, r = distance of separation after repulsion= ?,K = electrostatic constant = 9.0 x10^9 Nm^2/C^2
    (3) sin θ= opp /hyp....opp = r/2, hyp = 1.0m, θ = angle with the vertical axis = ?
    (4) ∑Fx = 0
    (5) ∑Fy = 0
    3. The attempt at a solution
    I need to find the distance of separation (r) after repulsion, so I can solve for θ using the sin θ equation (3).I did the sum of the horizontal and vertical forces, using equation (4 & 5), substituted T =mg/cosθ,(obtained from the summation of vertical forces equation) in the horizontal forces equation (4) to eliminate the unknown T (tension in the string) but I get stuck with two unknowns r and θ

Last edited: Aug 16, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 16, 2014 #2

CAF123

Gold Member

If I understand the set up correctly, write (3) like r = 2 sin θ and use this in your ∑Fx=0 equation together with T = mg/cosθ to leave only θ.

4. Aug 18, 2014 #3
    @CAF123....Aaah but yes of course thank you!!!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted