Find Work Done on 230 kg Crate in 12 m Displacement

In summary: Is it moving? Is the force being applied continuously or just once? Please provide more information about the problem.
Gold3nlily

Homework Statement

A 230 kg crate hangs from the end of a rope of length L = 12.0 m. You push horizontally on the crate with a varying force to move it distance d = 4.00 m to the side (Fig. 7-43). (a) What is the magnitude of when the crate is in this final position?

Figure:
http://edugen.wiley.com/edugen/courses/crs4957/halliday9118/halliday9118c07/image_n/nt0043-y.gif

(This is just a problem from the back, not homework...)

Homework Equations

W = F*d
W = KEf - KEi
(I'm supposed to solve this without using conservation of energy (that is next chapter), only work, forces, and kinetic energies)

The Attempt at a Solution

Normally I would set the two equations equal to each other, but I don't know either velocity and I cannot find a way to cancel them out of the equation.

I also have a question about the angle between the force and the distance. When I look at the picture it looks like the force is horizontal, but the displacement of the box itself is kind of slanted upwards. I am i supposed to ignore that (the arrow indicating the displacement below the box is horizontal)?

Then about the forces, i think that the tension force and the gravitational force does no work becasue it is perpendicular to the displacement, is this right?

I also found the angle at the top of the figure:
@ = tan^-1 (4m/12m) = 18.435 degrees

I feel a little stuck right now. Could anyone please give me a kick start? Is there an equation I am neglecting? Is there a way to solve this problem without using conservation of energy?

Oh and the answer from the book is: 797 N

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't understand the problem. Is the crate in equilibrium in its final position?

1. What is the formula for calculating work done?

The formula for calculating work done is: work = force x distance.

2. How do you determine the force exerted on the crate?

The force exerted on the crate can be determined by using the formula: force = mass x acceleration. In this case, the mass of the crate is given as 230 kg and the acceleration is the acceleration due to gravity, which is approximately 9.8 m/s2 on Earth.

3. What is the unit of measurement for work done?

The unit of measurement for work done is the joule (J). One joule is equal to the work done when a force of 1 newton is exerted over a distance of 1 meter.

4. Can you explain how displacement is related to work done?

Displacement is the distance traveled by an object in a particular direction. In the context of work done, displacement is important because it represents the distance over which the force is applied. The greater the displacement, the more work is done on the object.

5. How do you calculate work done on a crate with a non-constant force?

If the force exerted on the crate is not constant, you can calculate the work done by breaking the displacement into smaller intervals and calculating the work done on each interval using the formula: work = force x distance. Then, you can add all the individual work values to find the total work done on the crate.