1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hanging Mass on Spring

1. Mar 2, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A spring with spring constant k = 50 N/m and unstretched length of L is attached to the ceiling. A block of mass m = 1.5 kg is hung gently on the end of the spring. How far does the spring stretch?

2. Relevant equations
    PEspring=0.5kx2
    Fspring=-kx

3. The attempt at a solution
    When the mass hangs at rest at its lowest point where the spring is stretched the furthest, its weight is exerting a force of 14.7 N on the spring. Likewise, the spring should be exerting that same force on the mass, but plugging that into the force equation by dividing 14.7 by 50 gives an x value of 0.29 m, but this is incorrect. I must be overlooking something since I know I probably have to use the potential energy equation too. Any know what I'm doing wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 2, 2012 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Are there any particular units that they want the result expressed in? The force balance approach should be correct.

4. Mar 2, 2012 #3
    Oh, apparently I was right, it was the significant figures that were saying it was wrong. Thanks anyway!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook