Hanging Meter Stick tension

In summary, the conversation discusses a question about a meter stick with mass 0.409 kg supported by two strings, with one at the 0 cm mark and the other at the 90 cm mark. The question asks for the tension in the remaining string after the first string is cut. The conversation also mentions using the parallel axis theorem to find the appropriate moment of inertia and using the formula mg-T=ma to find the tension. The conversation concludes with the questioner thanking the expert for their help and confirming their understanding of the solution.
franniemeow07
Hi, this question was from an archived thread but I have another relevant question that was not answered by any of the posters--

P.S. The answer to c is NOT mg.

Homework Statement

A meter stick (L = 1 m) with mass M = 0.409 kg is supported by two strings, one at the 0 cm mark and the other at the 90 cm mark.

c) Now the string at 0 cm is cut. What is the tension in the remaining string immediately thereafter?

I got parts a and b figured out, but I can't get c...Can I please get some help...

Homework Equations

When the left string is cut, the stick pivots about the 90cm mark. Take torques about that point:
(1) mgx = I α (Where "x" is the distance from the pivot to the center of mass of the stick; I is the rotational inertia of the stick about the pivot.)
Note that the acceleration of the c.m. is related to α by a = αx. Thus you can solve for "a".

Now consider the forces acting on the stick:
(2) mg - T = ma
This will give you T, the tension in the remaining string.

The Attempt at a Solution

What formula for I should I use, I = (1/3)ML^2, or I = (1/12)ML^2?
Also, should L be equal to "x", the distance from the pivot to the center of mass, or should it be 1meter?

Physics news on Phys.org
It would be helpful if you posted the whole question, even if you do know how to do part of it. I will assume the stick is horizontal before the string is cut. If it's not, that could affect the outcome.

As for the moment if inertia, it is neither of the choices you listed. You will need to use the parallel axis theorem to find the appropriate I.

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/parax.html

OlderDan said:
It would be helpful if you posted the whole question, even if you do know how to do part of it. I will assume the stick is horizontal before the string is cut. If it's not, that could affect the outcome.

As for the moment if inertia, it is neither of the choices you listed. You will need to use the parallel axis theorem to find the appropriate I.

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/parax.html

I'm sorry, you assumed right, the stick is horizontal before the string is cut. I guess I forgot to post the diagram :tongue:

THANK YOU SO MUCH, you are awesome! I figured out the I, it's just the Icm+Mx^2, and yes, I do use x as r, in calculating a = alpha / r. YAYYY :rofl:

1. What is the purpose of a Hanging Meter Stick tension experiment?

The purpose of a Hanging Meter Stick tension experiment is to demonstrate the concept of tension, which is the force that is transmitted through a string, rope, or cable when it is pulled tight by forces acting from opposite ends.

2. How do you set up a Hanging Meter Stick tension experiment?

To set up a Hanging Meter Stick tension experiment, you will need a meter stick, a string or rope, and two objects of different weights. Tie one end of the string to the center of the meter stick and the other end to a stationary object. Hang the meter stick horizontally and attach the two objects to the ends of the meter stick. Make sure the string is taut and the meter stick is level.

3. What factors affect the tension in a Hanging Meter Stick tension experiment?

The tension in a Hanging Meter Stick tension experiment is affected by the weight of the objects attached to the ends of the meter stick, the distance between the objects, and the strength and stiffness of the string or rope.

4. How do you measure the tension in a Hanging Meter Stick tension experiment?

To measure the tension in a Hanging Meter Stick tension experiment, you can use a spring scale or a force sensor. Attach the scale or sensor to the center of the meter stick and record the reading when the meter stick is in a horizontal position. This reading will give you the magnitude of the tension in the string.

5. What are some real-life applications of the Hanging Meter Stick tension experiment?

The Hanging Meter Stick tension experiment can be applied to real-life scenarios such as determining the tension in a suspension bridge or the cables of a crane. It can also be used to understand the forces acting on a rope or string in activities like rock climbing or sailing.