Calculating the Hann Window & FFT Energy Correction Factor

• Thread starter Lindemose
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fft Window
In summary: The Hann window is a window that is centered at zero and normalized in length. It is used to correct for the application of Fourier transforms. The amplitude correction factor is 2, that much i grasp... The FFT is performed as a complexed valued operation. These two factors multiplied is 4 (duhh !). And when removing that factor from sqrt(32)/sqrt(3) the result is ; 4*sqrt(2)/sqrt(3). The sqrt(2)/sqrt(3) is the mysteries part. Can anyone explain how to reach this factor ? Best regards !
Lindemose
Hi all,

I am currently looking into the energy correction factor of the Hann window.

So far I have found that to correct for the application of Hann-window and Fourier transform the result needs to be multiplied by sqrt(32)/sqrt(3).

Can any of you explain how to get that factor ?

The amplitude correction factor is 2, that much i grasp...

There is a another factor of 2 as the FFT is performed as a complexed valued operation.

These two factors multiplied is 4 (duhh !)

And when removing that factor from sqrt(32)/sqrt(3) the result is ;

4*sqrt(2)/sqrt(3).

the sqrt(2)/sqrt(3) is the mysteries part. Can anyone explain how to reach this factor ?

Best regards

Lindemose

Engineering news on Phys.org
dunno if my markup works. lessee...

i guess it does. the definition for the Hann window (centered at zero and normalized in length) is:

[tex] w(x) = \begin{cases}
\frac{1}{2}\left(1 + \cos(\pi x) \right) & \mbox{if } |x| \le 1 \\[3pt]
0 & \mbox{if } |x| > 1
\end{cases} [/tex]

now, compared to a no window (where w(x) is 1 for the same stretch of data), this window would reduce your mean voltage magnitude (or whatever signal) by a factor of 1/2. but if the issue is power or energy, you have to square it before integrating.

[tex] \int_{-1}^{+1} w^2(x) \ dx = \int_{-1}^{+1} \frac{1}{4}\left(1 + \cos(\pi x) \right)^2 \ dx = \frac{3}{4} [/tex]

if you did it to no window, the integral would be 2. so energy is reduced by a factor of 3/8. now perhaps they are talking about the r.m.s. reduction, then i think the factor is [itex]\sqrt{3/8}[/itex]. that almost looks right, except for a factor of 2.

i can see where the [itex]\sqrt{3}[/itex] comes from, but not the [itex]\sqrt{32}[/itex]. i think it should be [itex]\sqrt{8}[/itex].

Last edited:
Now that makes all the sense in the world, thank yoy very much.

i can see where the [itex said:
\sqrt{3}[/itex] comes from, but not the [itex]\sqrt{32}[/itex]. i think it should be [itex]\sqrt{8}[/itex].

By the way the sqrt(32)should be sqrt(8) as you point out. I included the the amplitude correction factor of 2 within the number.

Thanks again and best regards !

Lindemose

1. What is the Hann window?

The Hann window is a mathematical function used for smoothing and analyzing digital signals. It is commonly used in signal processing and data analysis to reduce the effects of spectral leakage and increase the accuracy of Fourier transforms.

2. How is the Hann window calculated?

The Hann window is calculated by multiplying the signal being analyzed by a window function, which is typically a cosine curve. The resulting signal is then multiplied by a constant factor to adjust for the amplitude of the window. This process helps to reduce the distortion caused by the sharp edges of the original signal.

3. What is the purpose of calculating the Hann window?

The purpose of calculating the Hann window is to improve the accuracy and reliability of FFT (Fast Fourier Transform) analysis. By applying the Hann window to a signal, it is possible to minimize the effects of spectral leakage, which can distort the results of a Fourier transform and make it difficult to accurately identify the frequencies present in a signal.

4. What is the FFT energy correction factor?

The FFT energy correction factor is a value used to compensate for the energy lost when applying a window function to a signal. This factor is necessary because windowing a signal reduces its overall energy, which can affect the interpretation of the results of a Fourier transform. By applying the correction factor, the energy of the original signal can be accurately estimated.

5. How is the FFT energy correction factor calculated?

The FFT energy correction factor is calculated by dividing the sum of the squared values of the window function by the length of the window. This factor is then used to adjust the amplitude of the signal being analyzed, allowing for a more accurate estimation of its energy. The specific formula for calculating the FFT energy correction factor varies depending on the type of window function being used.