Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hans Bethe (1906-2005)

1. Mar 7, 2005 #1

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 7, 2005 #2

ohwilleke

Gold Member

Here is the entire news release from Cornell. I presume that republication of this obituary would not be objectionable on copyright grounds, as the authors presumably wanted the news to be widely distributed:

4. Mar 7, 2005 #3

reilly

Science Advisor

And, Bethe made the first theoretical computation of the Lamb Effect, which made him, in a sense, the first to compute QED effects to second order in the charge. Indeed, he was a giant.
    Regards,
    Reilly Atkinson

5. Mar 7, 2005 #4

reilly

Science Advisor

And, Bethe made the first theoretical computation of the Lamb Effect, which made him, in a sense, the first, or close thereto, to compute QED effects to second order in the charge. Indeed, he was a giant.
    Regards,
    Reilly Atkinson

6. Mar 7, 2005 #5

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Amazingly, Bethe was still scientifically active until recently. He had a part to play in the discovery of neutrino mass.

One of my warmest memories is the story of how he acceded to Gamow's request to let his name be used on a paper that he had actually had nothing to do with, allowing the creation of the famous Alpher, Bethe, and Gamow paper.

7. Mar 8, 2005 #6
    R.I.P Dr. Bethe.

8. Mar 8, 2005 #7
    :frown: :cry: :frown:

He will be missed.

9. Mar 8, 2005 #8

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Aye, indeed! He was one of my heros. When people statrted to go on and on about Feynmann, I thought, but what about Hans Bethe?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?