Hans Bethe's Just-Published Views on Global Energy Problems

• Thread starter selfAdjoint
  • Start date
In summary, Bethe considered the proliferation problem to be the main obstacle to the widespread use of nuclear power. He believed that the solution to this problem was the development of thermal breeders that use uranium-233, uranium-238 and thorium as a fuel. The IFR concept is a potential solution to this problem because it does not rely on engineered safety measures and it allows for on-site reprocessing.
selfAdjoint
Staff Emeritus
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Just published:http://www.arxiv.org/abs/physics/0507043

From the abstract
Bethe's view-point on the global energy problems is presented. Bethe claimed that the nuclear power is a necessity in future. Nuclear energetic must be based on breeder reactors. Bethe considered the non-proliferation of nuclear weapons as the main problem of long-range future of nuclear energetics. The solution of this problem he saw in heavy water moderated thermal breeders, using uranium-233, uranium-238 and thorium as a fuel

Bethe of course was the world famous, Nobel winning physicst who died at an advanced age a few weeks ago. He was head of the computation division at Los Alamos during the development of the atom bomb, and Feynman worked for him there.

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Th-232 can be used in a thermal breeder to produce U-233, and U-238 is converted to Pu-239 (with subsequent production of Pu-240, 241, 242 and Am-241,242,243, Cm-244). Actinide burning is a possibility.

selfAdjoint said:
Just published:http://www.arxiv.org/abs/physics/0507043

From the abstract

Bethe of course was the world famous, Nobel winning physicst who died at an advanced age a few weeks ago. He was head of the computation division at Los Alamos during the development of the atom bomb, and Feynman worked for him there.

selfAdjoint,

I don't see Bethe's solution as solving the proliferation problem - and neither
did the International Nuclear Fuel Cycle Evaluation study of the late 70s,
early 80s.

I think the solution lies with concepts like Argonne's Integral Fast Reactor;
the IFR:

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/reaction/interviews/till.html

The IFR concept allow on-site reprocessing - so that the weapons-grade
material never leaves the high radiation portion of the power plant.

Additionally, as Dr. Till states; the IFR concept doesn't separate the
weapons useable material from other "stuff" that makes the creation
of a weapon with that material impossible.

The IFR is a breeder; so it makes potential use of all the Uranium
available, both U-238 and U-235; and not just the fissile U-235.

The IFR address proliferation concerns - the Plutonium created is never
separated from "stuff" that makes the use of that Plutonium in a weapon
impossible.

The IFR is "inherently-safe" or "passively-safe" - it doesn't rely on
engineered safeguards like emergency pumps to guarantee safety.
It relies on the Laws of Physics; which always work.

It really is too bad that Clinton canceled this project in 1994 to
appease the anti-nuclear crowd.

Dr. Gregory Greenman
Physicist

I thoroughly agree with you doctor. Without your expertise, I have been a proponent of the IFR for years, as my old posts on PF will show. I just thought it was interesting to see what Bethe, for whom I have the greatest respect, thought about it. Maybe the thoughts retailed in the paper were from before the IFR design was developed.

1. What are Hans Bethe's views on global energy problems?

Hans Bethe believed that the key to solving global energy problems is through the development and use of new, sustainable energy sources.

2. How does Hans Bethe's views differ from other scientists?

Bethe's views are unique in that he believed in the importance of combining both traditional and alternative energy sources, rather than relying solely on one or the other.

3. Did Hans Bethe propose any specific solutions to global energy problems?

Yes, Bethe suggested investing in research and development of renewable energy sources, such as solar and wind power, while also continuing to use fossil fuels more efficiently.

4. How did Hans Bethe's background as a physicist influence his views on global energy problems?

Bethe's background in physics allowed him to approach the issue of global energy problems from a scientific perspective, analyzing data and proposing solutions based on evidence and research.

5. What impact did Hans Bethe's views have on the scientific community?

Bethe's views sparked important discussions and debates among scientists and policymakers, leading to further research and action towards addressing global energy problems.