Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Happy 85th Birthday, Sir Roger Penrose!

1. Aug 8, 2016 #1
    Roger Penrose, of course, needs no introduction.
    At 85 he is as productive as ever, publishing papers, giving guest lectures. He also has a new book on the way and a kid currently in primary school.

Here is a somewhat recent interview detailing a few aspects of his life.

Happy birthday to you good Sir and we wish you many more.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 8, 2016 #2
    I think that is good for him! Except health issues, what else would people particularly his relatives be worried about him for if it wasn't about money ?
    I would also really like to be (even more) productive and active like that if I could live up to 80s.

4. Aug 8, 2016 #3
    Definitely. By the way, it's surprisingly difficult to find out what he is currently working on, aside from giving public lectures and receiving honorary degrees each month.

It's a shame somewhat that Penrose doesn't have more of an online presence, in the sense of a website/blog/twitterfeed/etc, but it isn't all that surprising given his knack for doing things the old way (transparent sheets with an overhead projectors instead of PowerPoint :biggrin:), his somewhat philosophical dislike of computers/AI, and of course his advanced age.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted