Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Happy Birthday Gene Roddenberry!

1. Aug 19, 2007 #1

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Creator of Star Trek, of course. Born Aug 19, 1921 (died 1991).

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 19, 2007 #2
    For my money, he ended the cold war. The first Star Trek came on when I was ten and everyone was still jittery from the Cuban Missile crisis, and Khruchev's shoe-pounding declaration "We will bury you!"

Roddenberry planted the notion that, in time, all that would pass and we'd evolve socially to cooperation with all nationalities and ethnic groups, even with "commies". My sisters and I loved Chekhov and thought he was hilarious, despite his being Russian.

4. Aug 19, 2007 #3

Evo

My brother was the one that insisted we watch Star Trek when it first came on, I got hooked and he lost interest.

5. Aug 19, 2007 #4

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think he also inspired at least a generation of scientists and possibly more who embraced his optimistic dream of the future of humanity.

6. Aug 19, 2007 #5

Danger

Gold Member

Trek certainly fostered my interest in science, and despite not being a 'Trekker' as it is usually interpreted, I watch everything that I can about it. Strangely, I found that each subsequent series was more enjoyable than the previous one. They were equally good, but it seemed to get edgier each time through to DS9. Enterprise was a bit more light-hearted, but so 'retro' that it was fascinating.
    I was fortunate enough to meet Gene about 25 years ago, and it remains one of my favourite memories. Although flawed (as are all humans), he was a true visionary.

7. Aug 19, 2007 #6

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I wasn't fond of Enterprise. It destroyed the history I and many other fans had built up through watching the other 4 series. Although I love DS9 it departed from the original vision by focusing on a war for entertainment value. Although I suppose it was interesting to see how war would be dealt with.

8. Aug 19, 2007 #7

Aether

Gold Member

I attended a lecture given by Gene Roddenberry at my school. He said that he was an airline pilot by profession, and that he had created StarTrek while on long flights back and forth across the Atlantic ocean. He also showed out-takes from the original StarTrek series that were funny, and I haven't seen those anywhere else.

9. Aug 19, 2007 #8

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

And many thanks to the man who made green women sexy! :biggrin:

10. Aug 19, 2007 #9
    I like star trek TNG because it always looked to the best in humanity as part of their plots. It was as close to a utopian society as you could get.

11. Aug 19, 2007 #10
    A prominent NY theatrical supply company reportes that sales of green greaspaint rose 130% after that episode aired.

12. Aug 19, 2007 #11
    I'm sorry, I just completely made that up.

13. Aug 19, 2007 #12

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Actually, the crew of Enterprise found a utopian society on the planet with the spores, but noooooooo, even seeing Spock land a girlfriend and smile wasn't enough for Kirk. :rolleyes:

14. Aug 19, 2007 #13

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Good! The images brought to mind were just too weird.

15. Aug 19, 2007 #14

Janus

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Apparently that spike was due to the filming of the episode. It seems that they had to film the scene several times. Every time they sent the film to be processed, the lab color-corrected her back to skin tone. When the film came back, they just assumed that they weren't using enough make-up, so...

16. Aug 19, 2007 #15

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Too funny!!!

17. Aug 19, 2007 #16

Evo

Seeing Spock smile and laugh is frightening.

18. Aug 19, 2007 #17
    Kermit was right: it isn't easy being green.

19. Aug 19, 2007 #18

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

20. Aug 19, 2007 #19

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:surprised

So Tsu is still not feeling so good! Hope she gets better soon. :biggrin:

21. Aug 20, 2007 #20

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl::rofl::rofl: Yes, she is still feeling a bit green.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?